Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/)
-   -   Leaking Trans cooling lines at radiator (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/leaking-trans-cooling-lines-at-radiator-35725.html)

prsdrat 01-29-2012 03:28 PM

Leaking Trans cooling lines at radiator

Does anyone happen to have a picture or exploded image of the transmission
cooling lines where they attach to the radiator? PO had the radiator
replaced and the upper is misaligned and the lower is leaking. Since
I have no experience with these damned plastic tanks I'm hesitant to
just crank on the fitting. This fitting appears to be some sort of chassis
mount in the tank with a tubing fitting (compression or flare?) screwed
onto it. Can anyone enlighten or point me?

Thanks.

Z28jeep 02-20-2012 08:56 AM

Re: Leaking Trans cooling lines at radiator

I have the same issue! Trans lines leaking at radiator. I hear this is a common problem because of the fitting when fluid gets hot then cools off it creates a leak. Anyone else have this issue?

2005JGC 02-27-2012 02:54 PM

EDIT: this comment is for WK jeep not the OP's WJ

There is a separate trans cooler that these fasten into, its not internal to the radiator actually its a unit that is combine with the A/C condenser. I have replaced a leaking trans cooler/condensor before and if your leaking from behind the grill I would lean towards this, unless the lines are damaged they are typically going to either dump (leaving you on the side of the road) or they are not going to leak. The cooler lines are VERY common but at the rubber portion at the compression fittings in the engine compartment.

Ypahihi 03-05-2012 10:38 PM

Is this an expensive or complicated repair?
I also have what sounds like a fine leak where I can hear it but not physically detect it. Having replaced my radiator late last year, it kind of has me on eadge a bit.

2005JGC 03-05-2012 11:51 PM

sorry, looking back i need to edit my post, it was actually directed at z28jeep as he has a WK...

The trans cooler IS internal to the radiator on the WJ. What sound does a leak make?

Chaoul1 03-06-2012 12:01 AM

Mines leaking too. I need to replace them.

Ypahihi 03-06-2012 05:59 PM

It's a hiss type sound. Like a steam leak.

Fourbynut 03-06-2012 06:22 PM

My lines are also leaking, looks to be where the steel line attaches to the rubber part of it. Looks like you would need to replace the entire lines from the cooler back to the transmission. I'm guessing this would be a dealer only replacement item. Anyone have any idea if this is so? :confused: (By dealer only meaning you would have to purchase the replacement lines from the dealer.)

Bleeding Blue 03-07-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourbynut (Post 588014)
My lines are also leaking, looks to be where the steel line attaches to the rubber part of it. Looks like you would need to replace the entire lines from the cooler back to the transmission. I'm guessing this would be a dealer only replacement item. Anyone have any idea if this is so? :confused: (By dealer only meaning you would have to purchase the replacement lines from the dealer.)

I would check rock auto

2005JGC 03-08-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Blue (Post 588894)
I would check rock auto

The lines are maybe 50 bucks from the dealer (my employee pricing was like 32)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Fourbynut 03-08-2012 05:06 PM

Thanks for the response guys, I did not think of RockAuto but I want the replacement item to match the factory shape. If they dont have anything I will definately pick up some from the dealer. I still have an extended warranty, hmm I wonder if it would cover the replacement. I will have to check that out also.

Z28jeep 03-08-2012 05:43 PM

Yes they are leaking at the compression fittings in the engine compartment. I found a guy who made his own fix. He cut the fittings off and reconnected the hoses with regular hose clamps and he said they have been dry for a year now. I can't find the post anywhere now. I notice they leak only when it's cold out, figure the fitings expand when warm and then contract when cold outside. Noticed when it's warmer out(45-50deg) I don't have a drop under the Jeep. I just check the level once a week until i get time to fix it.