Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Best way to lower '05 Limited? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/best-way-to-lower-05-limited-35930.html)

2 FN LOW 01-29-2012 08:03 PM

Best way to lower '05 Limited?

How's everybody doing. I've been searching around for a few hours now on how to lower my 2006 GC Limited and have come up with a lot of valuable info. However, I see some people saying they went one route but wish they went another route in the long run. That being said, what's the best way to lower my Jeep? Is there one brand better then the other when it comes to springs? Can I buy the SRT oem springs? Aside from the springs, is there anything else I need such as different shocks or bump stops? Any info you can provide would be great. :thumbsup:

NOTE: Thread title should say '06 Limited, not '05. It was a typo.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-29-2012 08:29 PM

Re: Best way to lower '05 Limited?

you can buy srt springs and that will lower it an inch. that is what i did and it looks great. there are some for sale now in the FS forum for like $100 shipped

Scottina06 01-29-2012 08:50 PM

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=525

2 FN LOW 01-29-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 563197)
you can buy srt springs and that will lower it an inch. that is what i did and it looks great. there are some for sale now in the FS forum for like $100 shipped

Is it really just an inch, or is it slightly more? According to TireRack and other sites, Eibach springs lower the front and back 1.2" and the H&R springs lower the front 1.3" and the rear 1.2". If the SRT ones are no more then an inch and the Eibach or H&R springs are just as good, I think I'd like to get that extra .2 of an inch :confused:

2 FN LOW 01-29-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 563210)

I saw all that. There's a lot of info there. Props for that. I'm still somewhat unsure of what I should do though for a truck that's used everyday. Naturally, I want to go as low as possible, but it just doesn't seem logical given what I use the truck for. I'm interested to hear what other people have done and whether or not they were happy with the results or wished they went another route.

4.whoa 01-31-2012 09:56 PM

I went with the wk eibachs and wk bilsteins. While it's WAY better then it was, i will go with the srt bilstiens next time. Its a decent ride, but I'd rather have the better control/ dampening and the extra 3/8" or so drop.I drive mine every day and go from KS to NJ & MI several times a year, so i thought the wk's would be smoother, but I enjoy "spirited" driving, and its lacking.

the ünderstüdy 02-02-2012 03:53 PM

I'm in the same boat as you but I've decided to go WK Bilsteins and Bwoody springs.

oljustice 02-02-2012 04:57 PM

Can I get anyone's opinion who has done the WK Bilsteins but kept stock springs? I want to get rid of the floaty, bouncy feeling but I do NOT want to lower my ride (it's my winter ride..) Do the stock springs work well with the bilsteins?

the ünderstüdy 02-02-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oljustice (Post 566170)
Can I get anyone's opinion who has done the WK Bilsteins but kept stock springs? I want to get rid of the floaty, bouncy feeling but I do NOT want to lower my ride (it's my winter ride..) Do the stock springs work well with the bilsteins?

No I have not DONE this but from what I've read you should be just fine. Like any car an upgrade in shocks or struts will help not hinder or hurt.

If I were you and wasn't looking for a drop but an improvement, go WK Bilsteins and SRT8 stock springs. You're talking less than a half inch drop but a much better ride. Also, sways will help the side to side. Every car I've owned sways are always the first upgrade, best result for not a lot of money.

my $.02

edit: most Bilstein HD's are not a nice ride so keep that in mind. Yes you spend half of what the SRT Bilsteins are but you sacrifice comfort I think.