Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Broken AEV Pintler (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/broken-aev-pintler-3617.html)

RedRocker 10-27-2009 08:58 AM

Broken AEV Pintler

One of my Pintlers developed a hairline crack where the spoke attached to the body of the wheel (obviously not caused by wheeling abuse). AEV has a lifetime structural warranty on their wheels and has replaced the defective wheel.

It's nice to know there are still companies that stand behind their products.

Thanks, AEV.

AcidCold 10-27-2009 11:42 AM

Re: Broken AEV Pintler

Nice to know AEV is one of the good companies out there.
Strange how that happened, were u towing a heavy load?
Reason i ask is because my dad towed a heavy load one time on his chevy van in the winter, he was trying to get out of a good pile of snow when the tire cracked. over torqued or just weak metal.

RedRocker 10-27-2009 02:21 PM

No towing, but some trail use. A reply to my post on JU implies that I got some old stock, this seems to have been a known issue with AEV's first batch of Pintlers.

AcidCold 10-27-2009 02:58 PM

Sucks that you have to powder coat the new one to match your set. shouldn't they replace all 4 maybe?

RedRocker 10-27-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidCold (Post 87437)
Sucks that you have to powder coat the new one to match your set. shouldn't they replace all 4 maybe?

I had a powdercoated spare, the replacement is in Argent and is my new spare. If I break any more Pintlers I will have to have the replacements powdered (or see if my powder coater can match Argent).

I really should have just bought Argents to begin with - the color of my armor is very close to Argent and there was no need to custom powder my original wheels.

mikskillz 10-27-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocker (Post 87414)
No towing, but some trail use. A reply to my post on JU implies that I got some old stock, this seems to have been a known issue with AEV's first batch of Pintlers.

hmm - when did you buy them? guess i should keep an eye on mine?

I bet i do a lot less wheeling then you do though. Only bene out once in the last 2 years.

ganna step it up a bit next summer though

RedRocker 10-28-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikskillz (Post 87530)
hmm - when did you buy them? guess i should keep an eye on mine?

I bet i do a lot less wheeling then you do though. Only bene out once in the last 2 years.

ganna step it up a bit next summer though

Mine are a couple years old. You'll know if they go bad, they'll develop a slow leak.

mikskillz 10-28-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocker (Post 88030)
Mine are a couple years old. You'll know if they go bad, they'll develop a slow leak.

ahh cool - i know what to look for

mine are about 1.5 years right now - maybe i'll be good then

thx