Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   GPS issue - locating satellites (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/gps-issue-locating-satellites-36413.html)

Rpthomas 01-30-2012 09:24 AM

GPS issue - locating satellites

I just took delivery of my WK2 Overland with RHP radio/gps. My vehicle location on the GPS goes off track from time to time. I checked the GPS information under NAV settings and under satellites is has '0'. - anyone else having this issue?

allypally 01-30-2012 06:04 PM

Re: GPS issue - locating satellites

Most GPS require a period of upto 1 hour to locate themselves when first started.
If yours has been running for a longer period, I would suggest you return it to the dealer for checking. Could be a loose antenna.

*sox* 01-30-2012 06:17 PM

The issue are on all Export models, you must remove the isolationmaterial under the Dashboard rear on the Mygig there are the GPS Location and this disturb extremly the GPS Signal .

The us Modells have this Not because there have the combo Sirius-GPS antenna outside.

Deserthucker 01-31-2012 09:17 AM

my tom tom last year took nearly 2 hours to start working, after flying from Perth to Sydney.
Was horribly lost leaving the airport in a hire car. (5000km to the hotel!)

ENFORCER 01-31-2012 05:40 PM

I once turned my portable GPS on and put it near the window of the plane.
936Km/h was the max speed on the unit until it died 5 years later. It went spastic trying to do the turns when I said guide me home. I was between Melbourne and Sydney at 35,000ft.

allypally 01-31-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 564598)
I once turned my portable GPS on and put it near the window of the plane.
936Km/h was the max speed on the unit until it died 5 years later. It went spastic trying to do the turns when I said guide me home. I was between Melbourne and Sydney at 35,000ft.

LOL. Didn't it ask you to make a legal U Turn?

ENFORCER 01-31-2012 09:31 PM

No it sounde more like...turn le..turn ri..with arrows going all over the place, but never finishing a direction. My Jeep's GPS has asked me to make illegal turns many times. Seems to not know what a no right turn sign means.

Deserthucker 02-01-2012 09:12 AM

And the plane did not crash!:eek:

mine could not get a lock on a satellite.

Had to laugh every time I flew out of a mine site the pilot made an announcement, to turn of all mobile devices and electronics. While he programed his garmin hand held GPS.

ENFORCER 02-01-2012 09:13 PM

Yeah it is mostly BS when it comes to electronic devices. I can understand mobile phones being switched off as it can interfere with the radio communications, but a ipod, digital cameras as not EMF unfriendly.
The only way I could get a GPS lock was hold it to the window for about 5mins. I did not think it would work, but it did. Next time I fly I will try it with my phone GPS. Might do some 0-100km/h and 1/4 miles times on takeoff:lol: