Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

My custom Katzkin Leather Seats

15K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  scooterha 
#1 · (Edited)
I had them done about 7 months ago and still look like new. My own version of Pimp My Ride. Anyone interested in New Jersey I can provide information.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Katzkin makes a great product. I installed a complete leather interior (including center console/jumpseat flip/fold cover) in my last vehicle. Still looked (and smelled) like new when I traded it in on the WK2.

#4 ·
The shop I used in NJ charged me $875 + tax installed. I just couldn''t believe it. Besides that, I could pick whatever I wanted. So I chosed the insert color, stitching and the Jeep log in the front headrests. Katzkin makes the covers which they mail to your shop.

This post has been deleted
#10 · (Edited)
Looked good.... that makes me want to clean up the "E" takes some pictures and show my Katkin interior.

Katzkin offers quite a value over purchasing a hide and having a shop stitching up some covers for you.

This is the second Katzkin kit I have intstalled my self

#19 ·
That looks great! Better than stock Laredo X leather.

You are right the Katzkin leather makes the Laredo leather feel like sandpaper...... just run your had over both and you will prefer the feel of the Katzkin.

I took the laredo back to the dealership to show them the kit installed and were blown away by the fact the I put it in myself and that it looked just as good as any of the JGC's still on the lot.

#12 ·
Wow, look great and I'd say thats a pretty great value for all that you get and the quality they look to be.

#21 ·
I kept talking about my Katzkin interior well here it (it was installed back in november on veterans day weekend I placed the order at www.shopsar.com

The color is Gray, with flat leather, perforated inserts, and graphite piping

#26 ·
The Steering wheel originally was a black overland summit wheel.

I modified it by stripping it and stitching on the Dark greystone leather from the original steering wheel

I did this mod twice, first to the car in the photo (my mother's car) then to my own car.

I got the steering wheels off ebay from someone who is actually a member here.

#25 ·
sweet covers from katzkins.....did them on my 05 daytona ram

#27 ·
WARNING: THREAD RESURRECTION

The Katzkin leather for the WK2 looks great! How long does the install take and is it reversible? I.e. is any damage done to the original cloth interior during the install process.

Thanks for any additional info.

#28 · (Edited)
My truck is in getting Katzkin leather installed. Hoping to get it back on Monday. I didn't opt for quite as fancy a design as the OP but I did go with the basic black leather w/ grey stitching.

In order to remove the cloth covers my understanding is certain seams need to be opened up to be able to remove the pieces. If you wanted to reinstall the covers, they would need to be refitted and sewn back together. If you look at ebay, you can see most shops keep the cloth pieces and try to resell them for extra profit. It's possible but probably not worth the cost the shop would charge to refit.

I was quoted a 2 day installation time once the leather kit arrived from Katzkin. I am having this installed by a shop in Princeton, NJ FWIW.

#30 ·
Zolt, thx for the info. I thought it might be as simple as
1.disassemble seats 2. slip leather covers over fabric 3. tuck 4. re-install seats

Sounds like it involves a little more than that.

BTW, congrats on the purchase. :thumbsup:

#34 · (Edited)
It's hard to say because I had mine included in the negotiations with the dealer. Because of the excellent results posted here, like the OP, I knew what to go in and ask for. I also had them add the Mopar heated seat elements. I can tell you the dealer started at $1999 for leather + front seat heaters. I feel like I actually paid much less, from the dealers perspective they "gave it away," by giving me an increase on my trade-in equal to the cost of the upgrade. They were already 1% under invoice so it was the only way to make it up. They do have my old vehicle listed on their lot for $3700 more then they gave me, so you go figure out who wins in the end, maybe both of us?

#31 · (Edited)
There is no damage to the cloth covers and it is reversible but, I would never bother reversing a project like that.

I did the install myself and it was time consuming, total time was 12 hours.

It was my first my first WK2 so I had to figure out how to disassemble some of the parts so I took me be more time. I began with the front passenger seat and my first obstacle was removing the the head rest then the second obstacle was figuring out how to remove the airbad module. Those two things ate some time.

I spent ten hours the first day and I had completed all the seats except for the drivers seat .

The driver seat took about 1.5 hours to complete because I did not remove it from the car.

If I had to do it again I would say I could complete the job in about 7 to 8 hours.

It could be done in less time if two intermediate skills people are working on the project.

The rear seats are the hardest part because it is time consuming just to remove them. Then recovering them is another chore

If I had to charge some one to do them I would not charge less then $350.00 most upholstery shops charge $500.00

Last weekend I did a 2003 Corolla in 4 hours start to finish and I am not an upholstery guy.

Reactions: xmonger
#32 ·
There is no damage to the cloth covers and it is reversible but, I would never bother reversing a project like that.

I did the install myself and it was time consuming, total time was 12 hours.
Thanks for the info! Your results are exceptional. I didn't think it would take that long, but doing it yourself involves a learning curve as you pointed out; but at least you know the job was done with great care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.