Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Power inverter load questions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/power-inverter-load-questions-36427.html)

Muddy4DSM 01-30-2012 01:16 PM

Power inverter load questions

I have a power question about the power rating on a power inverter. I’ve decided that I am going to plug in extension cords to the inverter and cut off the female ends and instead wire it directly to a plug so that I have an attractive plug in the front that maintains a factory appearance. One of my buddies just suggested to me that I should run one of the plugs to the cargo area for power access should I need it back there. My question is, would it be possible to run the front two plugs off of a splitter in the extension cord and run the second inverter outlet to the rear to have two plugs in the front and one or two in the rear? Rarely would I be running two 120V items at the same time, maybe a cell phone charger and a laptop, but I don’t know if the 400W/800W peak could be loaded on one side of the inverter without issue. I would not be running the front and the rear at the same time, unless the laptop is still charging and running something in the back that keeps me within the load range of the inverter. Essentially asking if I can run 3 or 4 plugs in the car if I’m keeping within the load rating of the inverter. I'm thinking that if someone was running one plug and had that loaded up to the limit of the inverter's rating, would that be any different than multiple plugs creating the same load?

The second question I have is that the inverter I purchased has a USB charging port on it. Do you think it’s worth it to run some sort of USB extension to the front of the vehicle as well to make use of it? If so, any idea where you can pick up a decorative type USB plug that could snap in, similar to a switch on a plastic panel? All I can seem to find is the extension cables that would just hang free.

05wkguy 01-30-2012 05:48 PM

Re: Power inverter load questions

Yes,you can run multiple outputs from the inverter, as long as you stay below the rated power output. If you were to look inside the inverter you would see that the manufacturer has just jumped the two outlets together,so it doesn't matter which outlet you connect to,it all connects back to the same point within the inverter.

As for your second question, I would check radio shack or eBay, there has to be something out there.

Crestwood1001 02-10-2012 12:00 AM

Be careful messing with this kind of thing, I can see a car fire happening if you wire things sloppyly in the outlets

Muddy4DSM 02-10-2012 12:03 AM

Yeah, going to be extra careful with this wiring when I get to it. Extra research to make sure I follow house wiring spec and be as close to an OEM type of install as possible. Thanks for the reminder tho!

celestijenijohn 02-15-2012 08:40 AM

This is a picture of how the inverter and battery are hooked up. It only takes a few seconds to attach the clips to the battery posts, then you push the on/off switch, on the power inverter, to the on position and plug in your appliances into the outlets on the inverter. The wattage of your AC Power Inverter will depend on what items you want to plug into it during an outage. The larger wattage items will require an AC power inverter capable of more wattage. A 600 watt power inverter will not power something that takes 800 watts to run. You will also need to find out how long your battery will last before it is fully discharged, or have spare batteries on hand.