Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Jeep died while driving?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/jeep-died-while-driving-36474.html)

copley2596 01-30-2012 11:01 PM

Jeep died while driving??

Hey guys i have an 05 wk with 4.7. i was driving earlier today and maybe got 4 blocks from home and then things started running really rough and i looked at the gauges and my check engine light came on and started flashing. i checked the codes : P0420- Catalyst Efficiency (bank 1), P2096- Downstream Fuel Trim System 1 Lean. Anyone know what the issue could be? any help much appreciated! Thanks.

2005JGC 01-31-2012 02:29 AM

Re: Jeep died while driving??

There is a starcase for the P2096 reguarding contaminated fuel...it suggests testing for water contamination. It also mentions running rough and drivability concerns. The flashing MIL is an indication of a misfire which can kill a catalytic converter (quite quickly but not that fast mind you). You may have a catalytic converter concern also, that may also just be inaccurated due to all the other symptoms occuring. I would focus on the 2096 first which may take cleaning the entire fuel system.

Where do you get gas?

copley2596 01-31-2012 12:03 PM

i get gas at alot of places. usually the zip trip that isnt to far from my house. i use premium in it. i have been looking at a few things this morning as i was looking last night i saw on here that this has happened to a few other people.
Fuel pump.....Good
Fuel pump relay.....Good
All fuses......Good
Optima battery......Good
Alternator......Good

all that i cant check is the crank shaft position sensor or the cam shaft position sensor.

if it is the fuel system how do i go about cleaning it all out?

thanks for responding.

2005JGC 02-01-2012 11:19 PM

Premium doesn't mean anything if the gas is full of contaminants and water. zip trip sounds like something I have not seen on a top tier fuel list.

to "properly" test you would want to get something like one of these here:

http://www.fuel-testers.com/order.html

Ultimately you may get lucky and run this tank completely through, make sure not to get gas at the same place next time and see what it will do.

Is it constantly driving like this or does this driving like crap come and go?

08pretaco 02-01-2012 11:26 PM

weird coincidence but the GF's jeep was throwing every code possible, including those, shutting down while driving, gauges going haywire....ended up being the transmission management module under the shifter housing. expensive repair and after 1.5 years its doing it again.

copley2596 02-15-2012 02:50 AM

hey sorry its been a bit since i have been back. i started with the 2096 code and i pulled the fuel line in the engine bay and cranked the ignition to run some fuel through. cranked it over a few times and got about two gallons out of the system..... it turned out to be about half fuel and half oil!!! seems like my jeep was the target of some vandalism. any way just wondering what the best way is two clean the rest of the fuel out. i have roughly a half tank. and i cranked the start a few too many times the first go around and burnt it up. oops. good thing i had a lifetime warranty on it. went and got a new one today. but all i need to do is flush the rest of the system and was also wondering if i should pull the plugs to flush anything out of the engine. thanks for the help.

copley2596 02-16-2012 12:59 AM

put in the new starter today and pulled out the old plugs. i cranked it over to see if anything would come and. dont think anything did. installed the new plugs and it fired right up but ran rough for a couple minutes. but now seems to be fine. i will watch it through this next tank but i am going to run some seafoam through it tonight and change the oil in the next couple of days. things to anyone who gave me tips to figure this out.

Gojeep 02-16-2012 03:20 AM

You must have sucked out the oil already as it would settle at the bottom of the tank where the pickup is.