Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Ensure that you have windscreen insurance (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/ensure-that-you-have-windscreen-insurance-36490.html)

Swampy 01-31-2012 05:21 AM

Ensure that you have windscreen insurance

Hello to all.

Just had a new windscreen installed today by Windscreens O'Brian in Canning Vale. Firstly, they did a fantastic job, excellent facilities and showed genuine care for the vehicle. I insisted on a genuine Mopar windscreen that they sourced for me Rather than the aftermarket one they had in stock. They also were happy for me to sight the windscreen prior to install to check that all the numbers were correct. Luckily it was all covered under insurance.

Lesson is that to ensure that you have a free windscreen on your insurance as the cost of the glass itself was greater than 2k.

Probably been mentioned before, however, a gentle reminder re Free windscreen insurance for those that may not have it.

John47 01-31-2012 05:32 AM

Re: Ensure that you have windscreen insurance

I agree with the genuine replacement.....about 6 months ago O'Briens replaced the windscreen in our Patrol with an aftermarket one (apparently made for them in China, I was told by the installer).
It has proved far softer and has accumulated lots of gravel rash in the short few months it has been in service. It is nowhere near the quality of the OEM screen.
I do have free replacement as part of our cover and have since confirmed that this extends to a genuine screen at my request - at least on the Patrol.
It might be different when we sort the insurance on the new WK2.

josh3008 01-31-2012 05:59 AM

Hello to all.

Just had a new windscreen installed today by Windscreens O'Brian in Canning Vale. Firstly, they did a fantastic job, excellent facilities and showed genuine care for the vehicle. I insisted on a genuine Mopar windscreen that they sourced for me Rather than the aftermarket one they had in stock. They also were happy for me to sight the windscreen prior to install to check that all the numbers were correct. Luckily it was all covered under insurance.

Lesson is that to ensure that you have a free windscreen on your insurance as the cost of the glass itself was greater than 2k.

Probably been mentioned before, however, a gentle reminder re Free windscreen insurance for those that may not have it.

How is your insurance through swampy?

Swampy 01-31-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh3008 (Post 564270)

How is your insurance through swampy?

Allianz.

ENFORCER 01-31-2012 05:38 PM

Mine is also through Allianz and I opted for the renta car as well. I was told the OEM screen is $2700. A spare parts guy asked me if I knew what JEEP stood for, I said no.:confused:
J = Just
E = Expect
E = Expensive
P = Parts
:lol:

OzTJ 02-02-2012 04:27 AM

Just Empty Every Pocket

AussieWK2 02-02-2012 06:38 AM

So why are Jeep part so expensive? If most parts are made in USA (and probably with cheaper labour) why are Mopar part so expensive?

As much as we all love our cars, they're not high end Europe with luxurious pedigree.

Though.....still love it!

John47 02-02-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieWK2 (Post 565726)
So why are Jeep part so expensive? If most parts are made in USA (and probably with cheaper labour) why are Mopar part so expensive?

As much as we all love our cars, they're not high end Europe with luxurious pedigree.

Though.....still love it!

Just relating to the screen - from what I have read the windscreen has the camera for the auto headlight dip and rain sensing wipers embedded in the glass.....that's pretty tech! and costly I guess....

frog_a_lot 02-02-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John47 (Post 566259)
Just relating to the screen - from what I have read the windscreen has the camera for the auto headlight dip and rain sensing wipers embedded in the glass.....that's pretty tech! and costly I guess....

As far as i know..The sensor for the head lights is on the dash, that little dome thingy.

Rain sensors i got no idea about.

ENFORCER 02-02-2012 11:19 PM

All the cameras for the highbeam, rain & light sensors, etc are behind the mirror. They are not embedded in the glass. You can clearly see them in their little box. I think the main reason they are so expensive is they are sound deaddning and made for JEEP.