Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Something Has Shorted Out and Cannot Start WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/something-has-shorted-out-and-cannot-start-wj-36493.html)

Ypahihi 01-31-2012 09:19 AM

Something Has Shorted Out and Cannot Start WJ

Seeking general idea as to what may have shorted out in the WJ this afternoon, as I will tow it home tomorrow morning so that I can have a go at repairs. Trying to save a few dollars if I can.
Usual flooding for this time of the year and so driving around in .5 metre plus of water will force water up into the engine bay at some stage.

Had been driving for 20 minutes pulled over to the side of the road and then the WJ would not turn over.
Initially sounded as if I had a flat battery when trying to start it, however I could hear an arcing sound under the bonnet while attempting to turn it over.
Bonnet up (in the monsoonal rain) and the smell of plastic melting emanating from under the battery. Turned it over a couple more times and more arcing and smoke, then car would not turn over at all.
Pulled battery out but couldn't see any wiring damage .Basically ran out of light and visibility to dig deeper. Tried someone else's battery, but as it was in the dark I put pos to neg and got a few extra sparks for my foolishness.
Appears that everything still works (lights, interior air con etc..) but still wont turn over. WJ on side of road and will tow in the AM.

Should I be looking at the starter motor wiring, cables or is there a relay underneath the battery plate that could be wet and has shorted out?

Any ideas, please advise as I will be under the bonnet in 7 hours? :(

Frango100 01-31-2012 07:07 PM

Re: Something Has Shorted Out and Cannot Start WJ

No start and plastic smell sounds as the starter motor cable or solenoid. Have a look at the solenoid on the starter if the cable is not loose or in bad shape.

Ypahihi 01-31-2012 08:27 PM

Many thanks Frank,

Towed WJ back to home this morning and the internals of the starter motor is arcing and smoking beautifully. Cables and additional wiring not at fault. Looks like there is a grommet missing as there is an inspection / drainage hole (road side) where the water has gotten in. It seems a silly thing to have on a starter motor
Will swap out the starter motor from the Laredo.
I'm assuming they are all the same.

Ypahihi 02-01-2012 05:32 AM

All fixed.
Exceipt for that I threaded the top bolt.
Gonna run with it the way it is until I can spend the time to fix it.
:o

Frango100 02-01-2012 06:36 AM

I did answer you a little in a hurry yesterday evening and was thinking lateron about the starter. But you did already find it in the meantime. Good to have a jeep for spares on the side, wish i would have one.

Ypahihi 02-01-2012 08:02 AM

Yeap,
It has come in handy. There's about 8 WJ's in Darwin so not even the wreckers want to hold stock when the auctions are on up here. Having said that I have only ever seen 2 (city slickers 4 wheeling badly) wrecks go to auction and of that I have one of them.
Thanks again for your advise Frank, much appreciated. :)