Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   ChipTuning that brings down gas consumption for 3.6 Pentastar? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/chiptuning-that-brings-down-gas-consumption-for-3-6-pentastar-36504.html)

Angel 01-31-2012 10:38 AM

ChipTuning that brings down gas consumption for 3.6 Pentastar?

Hi guys,

is anyone aware of a ChipTuning that brings down gas consumption for the 3.6 Pentastar? ...I would be fine with a considerable loss of performance.

In my opinion the Pentastar's gas mileage is far too low for a modern engine and I would like to take action to change that.

kkreit01 01-31-2012 12:42 PM

Re: ChipTuning that brings down gas consumption for 3.6 Pentastar?

What are you making? What are you expecting? Do you have the stock tires? IMO the MPG is excellent. We've been making 18.5 mixed city driving. The one highway trip made 22.9 -- until we turned to face a strong wind. For a new vehicle, on winter gas, 4600#, 290 HP, I think it's excellent. It's making just as good as my 08 V6 Mariner did (1000# lighter, and 90 less HP).

FlyinRyan 01-31-2012 12:51 PM

No chips available yet, unless Jet has one. I know they do for the 5.7.

Theres not many people modifying the 3.6s in Jeeps yet, so the verdict is still out on if bolt-ons help mileage any. they do incease power, I would expect mileage to go up slightly.

padgett 03-03-2012 04:36 PM

To really have an effect you would need to change a number of things (Intake/ Exhaust) AND you need to flash new maps to make use of them. "A chip" would depend on where applied since the Pentastar PCM does not use PROMS.

If something says you just clip it on a sensor (most likely the IAT) then I would want a deep technical explination and would want to monitor the fuel trims, injector pulse width, and advance for a while to see exactly what is happening.

Am averaging over 20 mpg in mixed driving and urban traffic and am very happy. Just look at what people have to say about Acadias and Enclaves to see something entirely different.

Particularly given the 4400 lbs, slab nose, and .37 drag, I am amazed at how good it is.

77rednecktruck 03-03-2012 05:10 PM

Invest in a pedal bike. If you drop performance anymore in the v6, the pedal bike will be faster and use less fuel. :)

Like others have said, a 2+ ton AWD brick getting 20MPG is pretty darn good.

JRNYC 03-05-2012 04:44 PM

Same here with the GM up till 2000 miles. It has gotten better, But I also notice that I cannot match the MPG it gets as when it is in cruise control. It gets noticebly better gas mileage.

My manual driving numbers still suk though. if I reset the MPG and use cruise on the highway I have seen 22, 23 and 24. In other highway driving in cruise I have gotten 18,17 and 16 consistent. In mixed with cc I have gotten less and if I am driving same conditions buy foot I cannot duplicate the MPH I get with Cruise control. Mine just likes cruise control better.

padgett 03-12-2012 01:45 PM

Under 1,000 miles on clock, winter gas. Zeroed MPG, Orlando->Lakeland, piddled around the airport a bit, Lakeland->Orlando. Light traffic/ cool morning out, heavy/ warm (several stops on Interstate, 65-70 mph otherwise, a/c on) back. 147 miles & EVIC read 24.6 MPG. I do use cruise when I can.

Considereing a 4400 lb weight and 12.8 cdA (50% more drag & 800 lbs more than my '92 TranSport 3800 which gets 25 MPG on Florida Interstates) that is pretty good.

armoredsaint 03-14-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 564362)
Hi guys,

is anyone aware of a ChipTuning that brings down gas consumption for the 3.6 Pentastar? ...I would be fine with a considerable loss of performance.

In my opinion the Pentastar's gas mileage is far too low for a modern engine and I would like to take action to change that.

:lol:

fastdude007 05-30-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 564362)
Hi guys,

I changed few things on my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X, Pentastar V6. I have an Airraid cold air intake, Magna flow catback and the JDM performance chip. I know there is a lot of negative comments about the JDM, but I like it and it works. My gas mileage combined with mostly city driving is 22-23 mpg for the past 6 month very consistent and my low end power band improved.

padgett 05-30-2013 04:17 PM

a) what is the "JDM Performance (Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2012, 6 Cylinder )" thngie and where does it attach ?
b) are you using premium fuel ?
c) what was your MPG before ? I am getting 19.5 MPG ave on 87 PON now and if 91-92 octane is needed for a 10% increase, it is a wash.

fastdude007 05-31-2013 07:54 AM

You need to remember for that thingy to work you need to do some modifications such as a cold air intake and a catback. I'm using 87 gasoline and my mileage in the city is around 22 mpg and on the highway about 24-23. I did try premium but I didn't find any difference in performance. That module is plugged in the OBD2 plug in your vehicle. You can read some customers reviews on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: JDM ProM Car Performance Chip ECU OBD2 Plug and Play (Up to 40HP/40TQ) Adaptive

padgett 05-31-2013 05:27 PM

My major issue is that I am already using the OBD plug for my diagnostics and this does not appear to be a passthrough.