Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Clearance issues in garage with antenna? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/clearance-issues-in-garage-with-antenna-36507.html)

armoredsaint 01-31-2012 11:52 AM

Clearance issues in garage with antenna?

Anyone have clearance issues parking in the garage where the antenna hits the top?

ColdCase 01-31-2012 11:57 AM

Re: Clearance issues in garage with antenna?

Some have and replaced the antenna mast with a so called stubby or sharkfin type antenna.

ErikRP 01-31-2012 01:27 PM

If it's a case where you are just catching the top of it and you have the Quadra Lift it might help to lower the vehicle to the "Park" setting just before you enter the garage. It might be enough to make a difference. The vehicle won't go to normal ride height unless you exceed something like 15 mph.

dlthunder 01-31-2012 05:54 PM

I would think that would have to be a pretty low garage as the Mopar racks are almost as high as the antenna (without ski racks attached). I don't think I would go into a garage where the clearance is that tight. Most garages are made to allow at least an expedition or a yukon to fit, which are taller than the antenna of my WK2 (that is unless you are talking about some garages at older homes). I am more of thinking parking structures.

HammFist 01-31-2012 06:01 PM

I measured it the other day -- it's 76 inches at normal ride height and it barely clears my garage door. If the wife ever goes to OR1 or 2 by accident the antenna is toast.

frog_a_lot 01-31-2012 06:18 PM

Yeah one of my garages cant fit the Jeep due to the antenna, and i think i ahve clipped it in some shop parking garages as well. Hence why i am removing it and putting on a shark fin.

bigjgcfan 01-31-2012 06:32 PM

Keep in mind that in addition to lowering the Jeep's Quadra-Lift down, most modern Garage Door Openers in normal applications 'should' have the ability to be adjusted to open another 1"-3" higher depending on their proper installation & door conditions...

The major brands like Sears, Chamberlain, Lift Master, Linear, Genie, Overhead Door, etc... all have adjustable 'UP' travel limits to gain an antenna saving inch or two.

armoredsaint 01-31-2012 06:48 PM

i just measured my garage door opening and it's 81", i guess i am GTG:D

Breitling65 01-31-2012 10:32 PM

Simple, just keep jeep outside ;)

Mojo51 02-02-2012 04:49 PM

I had the same problem. Got the stubbie and no problems now

hur1ey02 02-02-2012 05:11 PM

Mine scrapes every single time I drive into my parents garage. It hasnt hurt it reception or standing wise. It's flexible, but it sounds terrible. It doesn't scrape in my garage, though.

armoredsaint 02-02-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo51 (Post 566164)
I had the same problem. Got the stubbie and no problems now

i've seen the shark fin, but what's the stubbie? :thumbsup: