Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f163/)
-   -   Mud and Splash Guards (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f163/mud-and-splash-guards-36517.html)

kbench55 01-31-2012 04:48 PM

Mud and Splash Guards

I know these are the last things that any one wants to put on these rigs but I am wondering if anybody has them on and what they used if they do.

It is the last thing I want to do but up here on the slushy streets I cringe every time a get to a sanded or graveled corner and I here the little rocks dinging the side of the jeep.

There doesn't look like there is anything available yet for the SRT.

transam 01-31-2012 07:24 PM

Re: Mud and Splash Guards

I know exactly how you feel. I've been fighting myself from looking into a set myself, but I don't think there's a set made for the SRT yet, just the other GC's.

I'm thinking that Jeep felt confident not offering them due to the low chances of damage from sand, salt, etc due to their designing and long term testing results. If you noticed, there's protection film along the lower sides before the rear wheels to prevent chipping. I'm not sure that makes me or anyone else comfortable though!

Even though we've had a mild Winter in Massachusetts so far, there's been some road sanding everywhere. I haven't noticed chipping on the sides yet at 5500 miles. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If a set of mudflaps become available, I'll see how they look before I decide to get them. Even though it would suck to chip the paint, it might look just as bad with mudflaps on it ruining the sporty lines of the SRT. (JMO)

The highway is the killer. Try to avoid it after lousy weather or drive slower when you do use it.:rolleyes:

kbench55 02-01-2012 09:04 AM

Well, I went out last night and bought a set of Universal moulded flaps. I didn't have the heart to start drilling a hole in the wheel well to put them on so I left them off for now. They didn't look to bad but they didn't look great either.

I came into the house and read your post Transam and decided not to put them on. Thanks for talking me out of it.

transam 02-01-2012 09:05 PM

No problem, I hope it will work out for all of us that drive these things in crappy weather.

mpetuch 02-02-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transam (Post 565512)
No problem, I hope it will work out for all of us that drive these things in crappy weather.

Crappy winter weather in CT is why I still have my '96 grand Cherokee with 282k miles on it to avoid such damage. Pick up an older Jeep with the 4.0 they last forever and still look good and drive that in winter weather and don't worry about it.

Have fun,

Matt

kbench55 02-02-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpetuch (Post 565728)
Crappy winter weather in CT is why I still have my '96 grand Cherokee with 282k miles on it to avoid such damage. Pick up an older Jeep with the 4.0 they last forever and still look good and drive that in winter weather and don't worry about it.

Have fun,

Matt

That's not really in the cards for me as me wife will probably be driving it 60-70% of the time. I have a company truck so we only have the one personal vehicle.

Pretty hard for me to say honey you can't drive the $65,000 jeep but you can drive this $1,500 beater. Took enough convincing to trade off our 2010 Grand Cherokee let alone tell her she can't drive the new one in winter.:)

STICK2 02-29-2012 11:34 AM

I tried cutting a set of mud flaps from aluminum plate but I wasn't happy with them so I tossed them.

kbench55 02-29-2012 11:45 AM

I have decided to do the 3m protection package and not bother getting the mud flaps. Just waiting for a kit to be made for these jeeps.

cyanideg 04-04-2012 12:22 PM

I can see rocks just peppering the side of my Jeep because the front wheels stick out so far... Anyone find a 3M kit yet?

A.V.GCSRT8 09-16-2012 02:41 PM

Anybody see any splash guards yet? Washing the rig today and am tired of seeing marks down both doors on either side of the jeep from rocks and road debris

Donsteph 11-27-2012 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a set of husky liners mud flaps . They said they would fit SRT8 but did not. S I decided to warm the plastic with a propane torch and molded the to the vehicle, then I quickly cooled them down with water to hold the shape. Now thwy fit like a glove. No more mud or stone chips!!

A.V.GCSRT8 12-03-2012 11:58 PM

those dont look bad but I wouldnt say great. I picked up a set of rally armour universal mud flaps just have not installed them yet. Still on the fence about it. I hate the way the side of the jeep gets hit but I dont know if I like the mud flaps. hey do look better, well more rally'ish now that im lowered so idk hoping being lowered puts more of the fender well in the line of fire