Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Oil Filter Tightness (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/oil-filter-tightness-36524.html)

BobsWK2 01-31-2012 07:46 PM

Oil Filter Tightness

My last GC was a 2000 WJ with the 4.7L V8. Now I have the 5.7L V8. I know on the side of the oil filter, it says to tighten filter 1 turn after gasket makes contact with the filter mounting base. But when I did that on the 2000 and now on the 5.7 V8, the filter always has some seepage which will eventually drip onto the pavement.

I know the original oil filter must have been tightened to 70 ft lbs.

So just how tight does everyone tighten the oil filter on their 5.7L V8?

peckmv 01-31-2012 07:51 PM

Re: Oil Filter Tightness

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 564668)
My last GC was a 2000 WJ with the 4.7L V8. Now I have the 5.7L V8. I know on the side of the oil filter, it says to tighten filter 1 turn after gasket makes contact with the filter mounting base. But when I did that on the 2000 and now on the 5.7 V8, the filter always has some seepage which will eventually drip onto the pavement.

I know the original oil filter must have been tightened to 70 ft lbs.

So just how tight does everyone tighten the oil filter on their 5.7L V8?

I always tighten the filter as tight as I can by hand. Never had a problem. Usually between 3/4 to 1 1/2 turns after gasket contact.;)

bmrisko 01-31-2012 07:56 PM

I've always tightened about 3/4 a turn after the gasket makes contact on all my vehicles. Never had a leaking issue.

Not to state the obvious, but are you sure the old gasket is still not stuck to the block? Also, do you put any oil on the gasket before screwing onto the block? This usually helps seal things up.

BobsWK2 01-31-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 564677)
I've always tightened about 3/4 a turn after the gasket makes contact on all my vehicles. Never had a leaking issue.

Not to state the obvious, but are you sure the old gasket is still not stuck to the block? Also, do you put any oil on the gasket before screwing onto the block? This usually helps seal things up.

Yes I did have to remove the old gasket from the block from the original filter like many others mentioned. And yes I did put oil on the gasket.

BuckeyeSRT 02-01-2012 08:58 AM

1/2 -3/4 upon gasket contact for me.

HammFist 02-01-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 564673)
I always tighten the filter as tight as I can by hand. Never had a problem. Usually between 3/4 to 1 1/2 turns after gasket contact.;)

Same here. 40 years of doing it that way proves I'm weak enough that it has always kept the filter from leaking, and not caused any problems with removal later.

jarhead727 02-01-2012 07:15 PM

I had the same problem. I had to tighten the ever living sh!t out of mine too get it to stop leaking. I have never had a vehicle like this. Kinda strange

J13ntv 02-01-2012 10:57 PM

Changed mine tonight-- Using K&N filter though, and tightened by hand probably 1/2-1 turn after contact.. Will have to check tomorrow to make sure its not dripping as i did it late this evening but seemed okay after install.

BobsWK2 02-02-2012 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarhead727 (Post 565396)
I had the same problem. I had to tighten the ever living sh!t out of mine too get it to stop leaking. I have never had a vehicle like this. Kinda strange

It does seem strange that the only 2 Chrysler products I've ever owned (2000 WJ V8 and 2012 WK2 V8) and they both do the same thing. Never had this problem on any other make of vehicles/motorcycles/tractors/generator. I tightened it a bit more. Will check it tomorrow, but if it's like the WJ, I'm sure I'll have to really tighten that filter on there like the original one from the factory. No wonder it was on so tight.

kkreit01 02-02-2012 01:56 PM

I always 2-hand tighten all, and have never had leaks. I hand tight on my previous Hemi w/o issues. The factory gorilla often thinks they are supposed to be as tight as lug nuts. Chrysler hasn't been bad. Ford is way worse. I demolished one Ford OE filter (crushed it) before it finally broke lose. Once it was broke (and leaking), I had to get the thing off.