Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   2nd oil change? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/2nd-oil-change-36559.html)

JVBW0527 02-01-2012 10:06 AM

2nd oil change?

quick question. I got my first oil change at 3,635 when the "oil change due light came on". I'm now at about 9,000 miles and the light hasn't come on again yet, so thats about 5,400 since my last oil change.

I know you can go up to 8,000 but shouldn't go over 8,000 in between changes, but should i just go in and get an oil change now or wait for the light to come on?

J13ntv 02-01-2012 10:53 AM

Re: 2nd oil change?

As you mentioned its up to you. I believe the manual states maximum intervals of 8000 miles or 6 months they say. Anything below that number won't hurt, but the EVIC indicator probably won't be on. It may come on in 100 miles or 1800 miles. The oil status indicator light is supposed to monitor the oil based on the driving indicators it monitors. Here's some helpful info from wk2jeeps.com

"The Oil Change Indicator system uses the Powertrain Control Module to process a variety of inputs and then decides on an oil change interval. The factors which point toward severe use include the following:

Ambient temperature inputs which indicate extended periods of low temperature operation
Average vehicle speeds which indicate stop-and-go driving
Run time which indicates prolonged idling
Trip lengths and coolant temperatures which indicate short trips
Engine RPM and engine loads which indicate trailer tow usage
Fuel indications of an ethanol percentage of 60 percent or greater

The system cannot keep track of dusty conditions or time elapsed since the last maintenance. In fact, it is possible for the maximum allowable maintenance time interval to elapse without an oil change reminder. In such a case, it is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that maintenance is performed according to the recommended interval.

Based on the inputs, at a fixed number of miles since the last reset, the Powertrain Control Module decides on the severity of the operating conditions. If one or more of the conditions indicates severe use, the PCM sends a message over the bus so that the appropriate message can be displayed. If the PCM decides that the normal service interval applies, it waits until additional mileage has accumulated before sending out the request for a message."

Hope this helps.

Knightrider03m 02-01-2012 11:09 AM

^^^

In other word, wait for it.

JVBW0527 02-01-2012 11:46 AM

Thanks guys! :)

comnjeep 02-04-2012 05:44 PM

I haven't talked to many people who think a typical oil filter can take 8000 miles, unless maybe hwy most or all. I would not trust conventional oil past 5000, but a good synthetic could go the 8.
Honestly, though, I think the chances of you wearing out an engine from over-used oil is very remote. But you asking the question means the answer lies in your heart... Whatever makes you happy and makes you stop thinking about your oil...

I've tested a few synthetics at 1 year, and up to 6000 miles on higher stressed (hp/L)(tracked or daily driven in cold) engines without any sign of oil failure. Never tested dino oil. I personally am switching to syn once I change second change, then I'll only change per the warranty: 6 months / 8ooo miles.. Filter be damned. My 2c.

JVBW0527 02-17-2012 03:25 PM

so i went this week and got my 2nd oil change. i decided not to wait anymore and see if the light came on!....LOL i was up to about 9,500 which would make it almost 6,000 since my first oil change.
It was driving me crazy waiting for that damn light to come on! I feel much better now :D

Now she is going to get a nice bath on saturday and hopefully side step install on monday.

AAAA 02-18-2012 12:55 PM

I would (and did) feel the same way and did the same thing with my 2nd oil change. I washed mine yesterday, just before the 10 minute blast of snow/sleet/rain!