Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Someone Test This For Me Please!! Sirius Sat Radio Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/someone-test-this-for-me-please-sirius-sat-radio-question-36565.html)

Discount80 02-01-2012 11:13 AM

Someone Test This For Me Please!! Sirius Sat Radio Question

Hi Everyone. My wife and I bought 2 of the same exact JGC's within 2 weeks of each other.

I noticed when using the Siruis Sat Radio in mine that there is a buzzing static like sound in the background. I started noticing it when listening to sports talk radio or comedy channels when there was a good break of audio for a second or two. The music related channels have it also but not as noticeable because the constant audio hides it.

I turned to channel 0 which has no broadcast at all and turned the volume way up. The exact sound I hear happens on channel zero as well and it can be heard most clearly this way since there is no audio at all being played in the speakers.

The best way I can describe it is the sort of sound we used to hear when we would sign online using a dial up connection.

I called Siruis and they did a signal reset etc and no improvement.

Can you guys do the channel Zero test and let me know if you hear it, because I don't hear it on my wife's truck.

Thank you.

J13ntv 02-01-2012 11:29 AM

Re: Someone Test This For Me Please!! Sirius Sat Radio Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discount80 (Post 565031)
Hi Everyone. My wife and I bought 2 of the same exact JGC's within 2 weeks of each other.

I noticed when using the Siruis Sat Radio in mine that there is a buzzing static like sound in the background. I started noticing it when listening to sports talk radio or comedy channels when there was a good break of audio for a second or two. The music related channels have it also but not as noticeable because the constant audio hides it.

I turned to channel 0 which has no broadcast at all and turned the volume way up. The exact sound I hear happens on channel zero as well and it can be heard most clearly this way since there is no audio at all being played in the speakers.

The best way I can describe it is the sort of sound we used to hear when we would sign online using a dial up connection.

I called Siruis and they did a signal reset etc and no improvement.

Can you guys do the channel Zero test and let me know if you hear it, because I don't hear it on my wife's truck.

Thank you.

I was going to tell you to test it on your second Jeep, that should be enough of an answer, but see you already did so. :)

I just went out and there is no channel zero available on the 730N... Channel preview 184 has music. I tried a comedy channel and most speak often but I do not hear background noise in the very short pauses... Should schedule an apt for the dealer, do you notice any static issues when playing MP3 or CD? That will show its interference/radio/amp issue then mostlikely if you get it on more then one source I'd think..

Discount80 02-01-2012 10:04 PM

I actually did test it again tonight on my wifes jeep and it did do it. The other way you can test it is while on sat radio press different presets rapidly on the touch screen so the broadcast never has a chance to actually play, make sure the volume is up nice and high. This is unique to Sat, mp3 ,cd,fm,am etc all are clear as a whistle.

Palmetto 03-21-2012 11:52 AM

Mine does this sometimes. Any resolution?

Justal13 03-21-2012 12:55 PM

Mine was a bit "off" in sound when new as well - a bit mutted and some random static. While investigating the rear of the GC for a rattle, I noticed that the antenna on mine was very loose - to the point that it wiggled in the mount. I removed it, added di-electric grease (you can get at any auto supply store) and reinstalled it tightly. I really cranked on it, because there are some detents in the base, and you need to make sure it is tightly sealed. My FM radio and Sirius reception improved dramatically, and the rattle in the rear was gone. My wife has a factory XM Radio in her GM, so I could compare and now the sound quality with the GC Sirius is at lease equal to her's. Best luck.

Ratchet 03-21-2012 04:05 PM

Discount80, what year is your WK2 and what head unit is installed? Look near the lower right corner of the head unit and you will see 3 letters. RBZ, RER, etc.

Discount80 03-22-2012 03:38 PM

2012 rhb

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratchet (Post 597903)
discount80, what year is your wk2 and what head unit is installed? Look near the lower right corner of the head unit and you will see 3 letters. Rbz, rer, etc.

Discount80 05-20-2012 12:47 PM

anyone else any ideas? It is driving me nuts!

Palmetto 06-07-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discount80 (Post 632252)
anyone else any ideas? It is driving me nuts!

I should be going soon for an oil change (I'm at 6500 miles and waiting). I hope to bring it up then. I have the same issue.

Discount80 09-08-2012 04:02 PM

Still no answers on this ? My wife and I both have 2012 JGC we cant be the only 2 in the world with this issue? Can we? LOL

NewJerseyBandit 09-08-2012 04:21 PM

2012 JGC Altitude Pkg and I hear the same static hissing softly in the background of my SAT radio as well. I just assumed it was a limitation of SAT radio. It also randomly mutes for a split second on occasion which I also assumed was the SAT signal being lost for a moment. I would like to know as well if I am mistaken and there is indeed something wrong with the head unit.

Durt McGurt 09-08-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewJerseyBandit (Post 681001)
2012 JGC Altitude Pkg and I hear the same static hissing softly in the background of my SAT radio as well. I just assumed it was a limitation of SAT radio. It also randomly mutes for a split second on occasion which I also assumed was the SAT signal being lost for a moment. I would like to know as well if I am mistaken and there is indeed something wrong with the head unit.

x2