Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   where to buy new parts? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/where-to-buy-new-parts-36577.html)

99PlatinumWJ 02-01-2012 01:26 PM

where to buy new parts?

mods feel free to move this if i placed it in the wrong sub-forum...

so im thinking of replacing my radiator this spring, but im not sure where to buy one from.

the auto parts stores (advance, napa, o'reilly, auto zone) all want $150 for them. advance had mixed reviews so i dont think ill be buying one from them.
rockauto is about $100 shipped
ebay is like $80 shipped

so my question is where should i buy one from, and if you have replaced your radiator where did you buy it from?

Thanks for any input, im really unsure and dont want to throw away money on a garbage radiator...

oh as to why i want to replace it- ive replaced the water pump, clutch fan, relay, and fan motor and my Jeep still runs hot in the summer with the air on. it does not leak and im pretty sure my radiator cap is original so ill be buying one of those also.

also, can i just use like prestone or peak 50/50 antifreeze or do i need to use something special from the dealer?? (thought i heard that somewhere but i dont know)

PLEASE HELP ME :thumbsup:

Frango100 02-01-2012 03:32 PM

Re: where to buy new parts?

Its not in the list, but i presume that you have changed the thermostat as well? If that one doesn´t open completely, you will run hot as well.

99PlatinumWJ 02-01-2012 03:53 PM

Oh yeah changed that when I did the water pump. My jeep is running great in the winter now, well below the 210 mark.. but on hot days with the a/c on it will go up to 240 if I don't pull over or shut off the a/c... That's mainly idling in heavy traffic though

Frango100 02-01-2012 04:20 PM

Do you only have the electrical fan, or also the one driven by the waterpump axle? Your sure the fan(s) go to full speed, when the temperature is high?

Amelie 02-01-2012 04:29 PM

Frank are you still rolling with the 8K HID?

99PlatinumWJ 02-01-2012 04:33 PM

Both fans.. replaced the fan clutch and the electric fan motor with relay and yes its on high.. I heard the system can loose pressure with an old radiator cap which can cause high temps too

StoneCold 02-01-2012 05:08 PM

I think the 4.0 uses a green antifreeze. I'm not 100% sure if it's dealer specific like the pink stuff for the 4.7

I got my radiator from an eBay seller with a 2 year guarantee.

01grand 02-01-2012 05:31 PM

If you get a radiator, save the $ and get it from rock auto. I didn't realize til after that I could have bought it from them, same brand I got from oriellys. Over a year and I haven't had any problems with it yet. Spectra is the brand name.

As far as antifreeze, the peak global lifetime meets Chrysler MS9769, which is the spec to look for when getting antifreeze for either the 4.0L or 4.7L. Any other brand that meets MS9769 will do, that just happens to be the first one I looked at.

99PlatinumWJ 02-01-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 565307)
If you get a radiator, save the $ and get it from rock auto. I didn't realize til after that I could have bought it from them, same brand I got from oriellys. Over a year and I haven't had any problems with it yet. Spectra is the brand name.

As far as antifreeze, the peak global lifetime meets Chrysler MS9769, which is the spec to look for when getting antifreeze for either the 4.0L or 4.7L. Any other brand that meets MS9769 will do, that just happens to be the first one I looked at.

Thanks a bunch Aaron! I've heard good things about rockauto... Also thanks for the antifreeze question as well. Much appreciated

01grand 02-01-2012 07:09 PM

No problem glad to help. I usually check online with rockauto and the local advance/oreillys but rockauto always comes out ahead. I only go to the store if I need something immediately, otherwise I can wait for rockauto. Plus you can usually get a better brand for the same price as the local cheap part, and I have had problems with oreillys "master pro" junk in a box brand.

Frango100 02-01-2012 09:21 PM

You can check if the radiator cap is working ok, by squeezing the upper radiator hose when the engine is hot (so use a glove to not burn your hand). When the hose feels hard, there is pressure, when its soft, the radiator cap is bad.
By pressurizing the cooling fluid, the boiling point will be raised, so finally preventing the fluid to boil at the normal operating temperatures. When the fluid starts boiling, it will form air bubbles, and ofcourse this is not good for the cooling, so raise the coolant temperature more.

99PlatinumWJ 02-01-2012 10:14 PM

Thanks Frango. I'll give that a shot before ordering a new radiator from rockauto.
Thanks for the help you guys. Much appreciated!!!