Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Technical Tips/DIY/How-To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/)
-   -   Programming Spare (third) Sentry key manually (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/programming-spare-third-sentry-key-manually-36603.html)

mjl2610 02-01-2012 10:12 PM

Help Programming Spare (third) Sentry key manually

Hi all. Has anyone successfully programmed a key without going to a dealer? I just tried to program a spare key to my Jeep and it seems to not wanna take.

I followed the instructions on wkjeeps but when i let the vehicle run with the second successful key start, i dont get a chime or flashing light.

But when i turn off my Jeep the evic says 'Programming Active'. So i put the third key in to be programmed the truck will just immediately shut off and never program the key.

What gives? On the second key start should i just wait and wait til it chimes? I feel as if i waited pretty long for it to do something...

Thanks for the help yall. :thumbsup:

Budasac 02-02-2012 10:54 PM

Re: Programming Spare (third) Sentry key manually

You aren't supposed to start the Jeep at any point during programming. First key in to the "On" position (not start).

Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the first key.

Insert the second valid key and turn the ignition switch ON within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound and the SKIS indicator light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the Sentry key.

Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. The SKIS indicator light will stop flashing, turn on for 3 seconds, then turn off.

cmn1 02-04-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budasac (Post 566448)
You aren't supposed to start the Jeep at any point during programming. First key in to the "On" position (not start).

Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the first key.

Insert the second valid key and turn the ignition switch ON within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound and the SKIS indicator light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the Sentry key.

Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. The SKIS indicator light will stop flashing, turn on for 3 seconds, then turn off.

Exactly what he said. ^^^^ I had no issues programming mine

mjl2610 02-04-2012 10:56 AM

Got it. Thanks for that guys. I was under the impression that it was to be started. It has worked per the instructions sans starting the vehicle. Thanks!

05WK 02-22-2012 10:05 AM

How much were you able to grab a new key do? I believe my internals are giving out on the keys and it's difficult to always unlock/lock he jeep

cmn1 02-29-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05WK (Post 579022)
How much were you able to grab a new key do? I believe my internals are giving out on the keys and it's difficult to always unlock/lock he jeep

They are cheap if you are just looking for a chipped key and not the whole key FOB. Search ebay.

05WK 03-02-2012 11:58 PM

I just got one for $52 free shipping. And my local dealership is going to key it for free so win win haha

coyote 03-08-2012 05:36 PM

Just received 2 new fobs for 08 wx $72.00 each took 2 min to program. best price i could find. dealer wanted $219.00 each

05WK 03-09-2012 11:50 PM

Yeah mine includes the key fob on the key, I just have to get it cut then i'll be room and rollin

05WK 03-10-2012 12:08 PM

Local dealer cut mine for free in like 5 minutes. Programming took just as long

It took me a few tries but it worked! I was too impatient haha

I had forgotten how nice it is to have a key that works on the first click lol