Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   99 WJ Bumper covers and cladding.... OPINIONS!? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/99-wj-bumper-covers-and-cladding-opinions-36617.html)

bsmith0612 02-02-2012 09:07 AM

99 WJ Bumper covers and cladding.... OPINIONS!?

I have my 1999 WJ Laredo. its black. the bumper covers are almost white on the rear, and faded badly in the front, and cladding on the doors is faded badly also. so... ive decided to paint them because new ones (or used ones) are too expensive for me at the moment. now... i ask your opinions because my dad and i got into an arguement about what color to paint them.

I say, satin black, or truckbed liner.

he says, "Paint them gloss black like the rest of the Jeep. you will regret it if you dont"

Im not a huge fan of the way Limiteds look, and thats what i was basing my general opinion on for gloss, and i have seen pictures of them painted satin black, and with truckbed liner on JF.

before my dad and i butt heads anymore, i need to come to a decision....
so i ask for your opinions, please :)

CameronG 02-02-2012 02:27 PM

Re: 99 WJ Bumper covers and cladding.... OPINIONS!?

Generally speaking, I love body color parts on large items such as your bumpers and cladding. However, I also love a small amount of contrast, and I feel that the gloss black on top with bedliner on bottom would make a nice look. Another plus in my book is that it is easier to fix a problem in bedliner (scratches, etc.) if one were to come up. My vote is for bedliner, as a satin black (clear-coated) doesn't seem as good in my head. Just my $0.02.

bsmith0612 02-02-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CameronG (Post 566017)
Generally speaking, I love body color parts on large items such as your bumpers and cladding. However, I also love a small amount of contrast, and I feel that the gloss black on top with bedliner on bottom would make a nice look. Another plus in my book is that it is easier to fix a problem in bedliner (scratches, etc.) if one were to come up. My vote is for bedliner, as a satin black (clear-coated) doesn't seem as good in my head. Just my $0.02.

i agree with you 100%. contrast is nice. the GMC Jimmy he has, is all gloss red and he loves the way it looks. so i think hes basing it off of that.
i was thinking after sanding, cleaning, degreasing, ill coat it with some flexible primer to prevent it from cracking, then coat it with black satin paint, then truck bed liner.

Bedliner- 2
Gloss- 1
:D

Amelie 02-02-2012 03:58 PM

I was never too fond of the standard WJ's with the lower plastic cladding. I always liked the limited's uniform body color look so I think that would look cool.

bsmith0612 02-02-2012 04:01 PM

so now..
Bedliner - 2
Gloss - 2

I dont think gloss would look bad, i just for some reason think satin or bedliner would look better.

plus, i dont want to be one to try and make my Laredo imitate a Limited, as it is not. I guess i would have to see them in person to make a real decision. next time i go to my college i'll look around the parking lot, theres various WJ's, just never paid attention.

Amelie 02-02-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith0612 (Post 566119)
so now..
Bedliner - 2
Gloss - 2

I dont think gloss would look bad, i just for some reason think satin or bedliner would look better.plus, i dont want to be one to try and make my Laredo imitate a Limited, as it is not.

Does your dad drive it or just you? I would say just go with what you feel is right.

SRTgirl 02-02-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 566122)
Does your dad drive it or just you? I would say just go with what you feel is right.

hey...that's what I was gonna say!

If you're the one driving it, and you're the one paying to paint it, then get what you like! But....if dear ole Dad's paying for it, you'll just have to continue to argue your preference with him! :)

Amelie 02-02-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTgirl (Post 566135)
hey...that's what I was gonna say!

My bad! lol

Chaoul1 02-02-2012 06:16 PM

I believe you can revive the Bumper Cladding by getting a heat gun and then dressing it with some Aero 303 or something to protect it from UV rays harming it again.

bsmith0612 02-03-2012 02:11 AM

i only make 160 a week, and i use about $100 a week in gas back and forth to work and college, so hes fronting the money. as he did for most of the rebuild and repairs (as i just got it) but in the end, i will be paying for it all, with the exception of $500, which he said he would contribute towards it, which he already has.

also, there will be times where he will drive it. but i bought it, im paying for it, so 98% mine. if that makes sense? haha

im half tempted to go with gloss to get him to stop complaining about it... LOL

bsmith0612 02-03-2012 02:45 AM

i had thought about using a product called "Forever Black" but it was too expensive.

also, if i do go gloss, would the mirrors and door handles look out of place? thats kind of my fear and i dont really have much interest in removing them.

(BTW, for everyone on a budget with yellowed or Hazed headlights and would like to restore them, DEFINITELY get the Mothers Powerball 4 Lights. it comes with buffing compound, microfiber rag, powerball, and if that doesnt work, they include 4 grits of sand paper to wet sand them. i just did this the other day. and its only about $21!!!!)

CameronG 02-03-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith0612 (Post 566544)
also, if i do go gloss, would the mirrors and door handles look out of place? thats kind of my fear and i dont really have much interest in removing them.

Not really. All WJ mirrors look the same from factory, and I'm guessing your door handles have the same color/texture as the mirror housing, so I think it would match nicely.