Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

OME vs BB and Bilsteins

15K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  omelet 
#1 ·
Any difference in ride quality between an OME lift and like a RC lift and bilsteins ?

#2 ·
Its going to be a night and day difference. The OME your getting finely tuned springs a great shocks designed for best comfort and handling and load.

With the BB and Bilsteins your getting great shocks and struts and using a poly spacer to gain lift while retaining the crappy springs that are not designed to handle loads or the charastics of a lifted vehicle. The only benefit to the stock springs is ride comfort and many of us don't find anything comfortable about stock springs.

The other benes a stock spribdzfit to OME is better off road performance. The springs lifting the vehicle will make for better trail handling and articulation. The suspension has more movement as a spring where a stock spring and spacer is limited to the movement of the stock spring. IMHO a BB is only gOood for bigger tires. If I was doing it I'd spend the extra $ and go with OME in a heartbeat! Its going to be better then a BB hands down. In my honest opinion a spacer lift is no better then a body lift on a body on frame vehicle like a wrangler or truck.

#4 ·
My OME lift hugs the street pretty well for a lifted Jeep due to the stiffer suspension. I don't put it to use when it comes to off road though. I bought it because I wanted to change the overall ride feel.

Feels good with the MD stiffer suspension. I don't regret it. Not the slightest.

So yes, I'm going to say that the OME has better handling.

#8 ·
You might want to do the BB and stick with the OE shocks.

#7 ·
Stiffer is better IMO. I load the WK with tools from time to time and I use to hate the feeling of the bump stops making contact with the axle in the rear.

I now have the OME coils and coil spacers back and "no" bump stops and I'm loving it. No more bottoming out and no saggy rear when loaded.

#11 ·
How much stiffer are the ome hd's compared to the md's? I'm thinking of picking up some myself and can't determine which I'd like more. I do a fair amount of heavy moving. My back has been full of sound equipment from the drivers seat back and literally up to the roof before. I also might invest in a trailer soon. However, this car is my daily driver and I make a fair amount of long-distance drives with it also. What do you guys think?

#14 ·
How much does the travel change when adding the OME's? I hear stock, we get about +/-4 inches. After adding the OME's does retain the +/-4 inches but your ride sits 2 in higher or does it shift the travel to say +6/-2 inches? I thought I read something like that on another thread but I'd like to make sure.

#15 ·
im debating the same thing. This thread helps. i think im jst going to go with bilsteins for now simply to replace my stockers to run with my superlift. Id def like to get into the OME at some point is jst not the right time for me as im about to drop 900 on tires.

What i would like to do is to level it out a little more. Any know any other bilstien besides the 4600s to run on the WK?

#16 · (Edited)
Are you going to ditch the SL for an OME? I think you can get OMEs for stock application. But personally I love my bilsteins and I think they have one of the best names and products out there. Iyou canget parts store brands like monroe shocks and struts but they will never compare to bilstein or ome.

What kind of tires are you getting? You should get some Nitto Trail Grapplers! So sweet!

#18 ·
Hey guys! I got a question. I already got the bilstein shocks on the front and getting some for the rear soon. If all goes well I'm picking up a set of JK rubi wheels and tires tomorrow and I want the OME springs. My only problem is choosing between the medium load and heavy load springs. I got a 06 overland Hemi and occasionally tow (up to around 6000-7000#). Any thought? What is everyone getting?

Thanks!

#22 ·
Well you said you were getting some for the rear soon, as in you haven't bought them yet? From what I understand the rear Bilstein replacement shocks are only about 3/8" longer than stock. The stock shocks extend out to 24" where as the OME extend out to 26" which means they are 2" longer to compensate for the added lift. That is where I would go with the OME rears over Bilsteins.

#24 · (Edited)
Would Bilsteins and strut spacers make sense? I would like more height without going over board. I rarely get off road but like the look, and im running 245/65/17 Michelin Mud and Snow so too much lift would look weird. Also I tow snowmobiles and once or twice a year I pull my '69 Valiant if that makes a difference.

#26 ·
Congrats! Can't wait to see it all installed.

#27 ·
Where do you get the OEM lift from? I have been asking myself the same question, OEM vs RC w/ bilstiens. My Jeep isn't 4x4 and I'm not doing any heavy off roading, nothing that I can't handle without a lift, but I def want some bigger tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.