Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   snow day! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/snow-day-36672.html)

chibianh 02-03-2012 10:05 AM

snow day!

but not for me.. one of the few who made it into work today.. how appropriate this commercial is.. lol

MikeD 02-03-2012 10:17 AM

Re: snow day!

I hate the tires on this Jeep, I was sliding all over the place this morning.

jlewissystem 02-03-2012 10:17 AM

That's great! You may have to go to work, but that drive is AWESOME....in any Jeep :D

NHman 02-03-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 566624)
I hate the tires on this Jeep, I was sliding all over the place this morning.

Agreed, the Goodyear Fortera's are not the best for snow/ice performance. If I was keeping the car beyond this year I would opt for a winter setup.

chibianh 02-03-2012 10:33 AM

i have Firestone Destination A/Ts and the ride in WAS awesome!

moosehead 02-03-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibianh (Post 566637)
i have Firestone Destination A/Ts and the ride in WAS awesome!

+1, like a Sherman Tank with Twin Turbos.

If you really give 'er the throttle at the entry of a turn, a nice drift sets in before traction control dampens the fun.

brandont 02-03-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 566725)
If you really give 'er the throttle at the entry of a turn, a nice drift sets in before traction control dampens the fun.

That’s putting it nicely. Even with the V6, 4WD, and LTX MS2s the back end kicks out with even mild throttle at any point in a turn, even post-apex (track out). My first gentle ‘let’s see what this does’ move put me perpendicular to the road before the ESC kicked in. This Jeep is REALLY tail-happy.

A nice drift is what happens in my wife’s 328xi when you leave the ESC on and give it a little more throttle in a corner it will let you get a slip angle of maybe 10 degrees and hold it. Turn it off and even 180s are pretty controllable.

Don’t get me wrong – the Jeep gets going fine and can be fun if you want to play. However when I dial in ‘SNOW’ mode, I’m not looking to play – I just want to get home safely. If I wanted to play I’d leave it in auto or sport. I expected SNOW mode to really dial up the traction & stability so it would catch a slide. It doesn’t seem to do that.

MSCA 02-03-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 566774)
That’s putting it nicely. Even with the V6, 4WD, and LTX MS2s the back end kicks out with even mild throttle at any point in a turn, even post-apex (track out). My first gentle ‘let’s see what this does’ move put me perpendicular to the road before the ESC kicked in. This Jeep is REALLY tail-happy.

A nice drift is what happens in my wife’s 328xi when you leave the ESC on and give it a little more throttle in a corner it will let you get a slip angle of maybe 10 degrees and hold it. Turn it off and even 180s are pretty controllable.

Don’t get me wrong – the Jeep gets going fine and can be fun if you want to play. However when I dial in ‘SNOW’ mode, I’m not looking to play – I just want to get home safely. If I wanted to play I’d leave it in auto or sport. I expected SNOW mode to really dial up the traction & stability so it would catch a slide. It doesn’t seem to do that.

I know that "Snow" mode locks the center differential to transmit equal torque between the front and rear axles....but doesn't it also increase the sensitivity of the traction control system? I could have sworn that I read that somewhere...

Cherodude 02-03-2012 07:23 PM

I guess I'm too old school. I know how to drive on snow and the ESC often causes the vehicle to do things I don't expect. Depending on conditions, I'm often in Sport mode in snow, or a least with the ESC off. YMMV.