Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Thinking of Selling my Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/thinking-of-selling-my-overland-36767.html)

IndyBob 02-05-2012 04:55 AM

Thinking of Selling my Overland

Since my wife and I are both retired now and no longer need 2 big vehicles I have been thinking of trying to sell my 2011 Overland.

To get an idea of what Grand Cherokees were selling for I looked on EBay and searched for completed sales of 2011 GC.

I found it surprising that out of the 50 listed there were no completed successful sales. All ended with reserve not met.

I am wandering if this is because the reserves were too high or the Grand Cherokee is just not selling.

Checking Kelly Blue Book it is showing my Overland’s trade-In value to be:

Excellent $35,339
Very Good $ 34,739
Good $33, 539

The Private Party Value was:

Excellent $37,994
Very Good $ 37,194
Good $36,094

I just found it odd that none on EBay were selling.

tnjeep 02-05-2012 05:55 AM

Re: Thinking of Selling my Overland

I would probably venture to say the reserves were too high. I would not put much stock in what Kelly BB has to say, they greatly favor the dealerships with their numbers. The best thing to do is what you are already doing, look on dealership websites at used vehicle or autotrader.com and see what others dealerships are list a similiar model for. From there you can usually subtract atleast 20% for the dealership profit and that will give you a ball park figure what you can sell it for.

Jeepdewd 02-05-2012 06:57 AM

Ive found dealers use.. *(regardless of condition)

trade in FAIR price (and even then take 500.00 off that number)

IndyBob 02-05-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepdewd (Post 567759)
Ive found dealers use.. *(regardless of condition)

trade in FAIR price (and even then take 500.00 off that number)

I want to do a private owner sale but I would like to get a feel of what a realistic asking price would be.

jeepster23 02-05-2012 07:13 AM

Good Luck with the sale but to be honest the market is so saturated with new, used, and demoed WK2 right now the odds are against you.

IndyBob 02-05-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 567762)
Good Luck with the sale but to be honest the market is so saturated with new, used, and demoed WK2 right now the odds are against you.

I think you are correct. It was just a thought. I am in no rush.

Thanks

moosehead 02-05-2012 09:43 AM

IB, both Autotrader.com and Cars.com are effective and easy tools for private sale. Note even the new 2012 Overlands V8 loaded are being had at circa $41k prices, which is at or below what we paid for the 2011's.

Good luck with it. The board would miss you if you end up selling her. (The WK2, not the wife).

Big Green 02-05-2012 09:59 AM

I bought a new one with the majority of features that an overland has (missing the Quadra-Lift and wood steering wheel) for 35. I could have paid 36 and gotten a new overland.

I looked used at first, and when I found I could get a new one for the same price - it was a no-brainer. If you're not in a hurry, I would wait.

ajs800 02-05-2012 10:35 AM

I searched for months and considered buying a used 2011, but by november, i was able to purchase a new overland for less then 90% of the used limiteds/overlands that were listed on ebay, autotrader, cars.com, etc. I believe most dealers that purchased them wholesale paid too much during months prior and are now stuck.

Smooth1 02-05-2012 01:33 PM

Holiday season months and the "recovery" months right after are generally not a good car sales period. Tax return checks are coming usually starts the used car buying market. I don't think it's just Jeep Grand Cherokees expereincing this. Most of the market right now is down sizing to higher MPG cars.

bmrisko 02-05-2012 01:44 PM

IMHO, Cash for Clunkers drove used car prices up to a point where most makes/models can be had new for just a "few" more dollars. At least that is what I was noticing in my area...I see a lot more people buying new these days instead of used models that are 1-2 years old.

Nightwatch 02-05-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 567933)
IMHO, Cash for Clunkers drove used car prices up to a point where most makes/models can be had new for just a "few" more dollars. At least that is what I was noticing in my area...I see a lot more people buying new these days instead of used models that are 1-2 years old.

That and people aren't switching cars as much as they were. Granted things are picking up, but for awhile the inventory of used cars was low...so the prices have been high.

The issue is that depending on what you buy new, you can usually negotiate a great deal....just use the Grand Cherokee as an example (discounts, incentives, low rates, etc).

Often it pays these days to just buy new vs. buying a 1 year old pre-owned model.