Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Fog Light Usage (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/fog-light-usage-36769.html)

rustyosaurus 02-05-2012 09:33 AM

Fog Light Usage

I just realized today that I've been driving around with my fog lights on. I never turned them on - I just have the headlights set to Auto. Its possible that the dealer turned them on when showing me the car or maybe they came on as default?

Is it normal to drive with your fog lights on in addition to your headlights? Seems unnecessary and rude to me. Seems like you should only drive with the fog lights on when there is actual fog. But I didn't know what is typically done with the JGC, which is why I'm asking for feedback.

moosehead 02-05-2012 09:52 AM

Re: Fog Light Usage

IME the stock fogs cast a lower power light with less throw than the low beams, so oncoming traffic is not impacted at all. Some more powerful aftermarkets can be rude and are more condition specific.

I use my stockers full time on mountain roads, rough pavement, trail, or snow to see ground conditions better. They also cut fog and blowing snow or rain as the lower beam doesn't reflect oncoming stuff back into the driver's eye.

rustyosaurus 02-05-2012 10:02 AM

okay but what about just normal everyday driving conditions? would you still say to use them all the time?

moosehead 02-05-2012 10:07 AM

^Really your call, if they help your visibility by all means use them. If you aren't blinding oncomers then only porential downside is more frequent bulb replacement.

rustyosaurus 02-05-2012 10:10 AM

thanks for your response moose.

i did some quick reading and in many places, front fog lights are prohibited unless there are adverse weather conditions. it is advised to use fog lights as you would your brights - turn them off when cars approach you. it also said that front fog lights can adversely affect the driver - something about too much illumination.

sounds like for me, unless there is fog or other bad weather, that i'll most likely keep these off.

moosehead 02-05-2012 10:42 AM

No worries. Understand some jurisdictions may limit fog use, again much of which is driven by new generation or aftermarket fogs/offroad fixtures that can and do overdo it. Note I frequently break speed limits as well.

See for yourself by not only testing during driving conditions, but also try the garage door test. Pull up to a wall or garage door at say 25' distance and cycle through DRL, low beams, highs, and fogs. Your own experience and eyesight are better than other opinions, including mine.

77Cherokee 02-05-2012 10:51 AM

When using your foglights keep in mind that they do not go off automatically as do the automatic brights. So when, for example, you are coming over a rise or the vehicle front end is elevated slightly at a light or stop sign, you can really blind oncoming vehicles unless you shut them off manually. I rarely use them during normal weather conditions but in fog they work much better than using high beams, which actually decrease visibility.

jeep2011 02-05-2012 10:59 AM

When fog is on I turn mine on, otherwise they are off. I think the WKII looks better with them off under normal driving conditions. It is all personal preference and certain state laws that are never enforced.

peckmv 02-05-2012 11:33 AM

I have tried my fogs and the difference is so minimal its not worth it. I find it annoying when people have fogs on during clear weather. They cast a bright glare to oncoming drivers and they do little to enhance the stock headlights. I believe its more of a fashion thing today. JMO.

ktbirdman 02-05-2012 01:22 PM

In Oregon it is illegal to have them on when appoaching other vehicles. http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/NEWSRL/new...lights.shtml I see a lot of vehicles with them on. I wish Oregon would start enforcing the illegal use of fog lights. My personal opinion in those who knowingly drive with their fog lights on when approaching other cars are idiots. They are called fog lights for a reason. If you need better lights than the normal lights, you shouldn't be driving. As you can tell this is a pet peeve of mine along with idiots who tailgate and those who camp in the left lane no matter what speed they are doing.:mad:

Breitling65 02-05-2012 10:53 PM

I am using them all the time, helps while dark winter mornings and evenings lot. I don't care about look, my eyes are not that young and I prefer more lights.

ktbirdman 02-05-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breitling65 (Post 568203)
I am using them all the time, helps while dark winter mornings and evenings lot. I don't care about look, my eyes are not that young and I prefer more lights.

So you are making it harder for others drivers to see becaue you can't see that well. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Please have some courtesy to other drivers.