Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   3" IRO Lift - Spring Isolators (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/3-iro-lift-spring-isolators-36834.html)

TJLong1121 02-06-2012 06:43 PM

3" IRO Lift - Spring Isolators

Have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland with 111,000 miles on it.

Installing a 3" IRO Lift with Bilstein 5125 Shocks.

3 questions for the group.

1. Should I replace my Spring Isolators, how big of a deal is this, how much do they really smush down?

2. TC 1" Drop - Should this be installed when only lifting 3 inches?

3. A-Arm spacer - Everything I read is that its not needed on a 3" lift. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Tyler

cheapjeep 02-06-2012 07:47 PM

Re: 3" IRO Lift - Spring Isolators

1.If the isolators don't show any visible damage they're fine.They are easy to change if bad once the springs are out. Just pull them off
2.If you have the double cardigan front drive shaft you don't need the drop. If you get a vibe you probably have the rezzepa shaft and you can always make the spacers or change shafts.The spacers are only 3/4" flat stock with 2 holes in them.
3.Concerning the a arm most people say not until 4" I have 3.25" and I'm gonna run without and see. They say the spacer actually makes the pinion angle worse till you hit 4" unless you have adjustable lowers.

cheapjeep 02-06-2012 07:50 PM

Also Tyler are you going with the 2" or 4" shock?

TJLong1121 02-06-2012 07:56 PM

Generally can the isolators be pretty smashed down? I can get all 8 for $100. Should I just order them and do them with my lift?

Its the 4" shocks for having a lift.

The IRO lift kit comes with the tranny spacer, should I put it in for the hell of it or is it a waste of time?

As far as what kind of driveshaft I have I have no idea.....

cheapjeep 02-06-2012 08:26 PM

I don't know our '99 had over 200k and were still fine. If both sides look the same I'd say you're fine. If the spacers come with the kit I'd use them. Can't hurt. The drive shaft with 3 u joints and no rubber boot is the good one. With the 4" shocks you can unseat the front springs at full droop. Check out my suspension thread in the how to section to see a couple of safeguards I did.

TJLong1121 02-07-2012 05:06 PM

Ill have to double check if they are the 4" shocks or not because I haven't heard of anyone else having that issue... If that is the case I may get the shorter shocks. You're thread is awesome at coming up with some fixes for the situation though. The kit does not come with the isolators but I am worried that if I don't order them Ill get in there and wish I had. Appreciate the insight though.

cheapjeep 02-08-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJLong1121 (Post 569483)
Ill have to double check if they are the 4" shocks or not because I haven't heard of anyone else having that issue... If that is the case I may get the shorter shocks.

That's the problem with Bilsteins and 3" of lift .The 4" are too long and the 2" are to short. I'd rather have a long shock than one too short though. It's easier on the shocks.