Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Ghost Power Mirrors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/ghost-power-mirrors-36835.html)

TJLong1121 02-06-2012 06:45 PM

Ghost Power Mirrors

On my WJ - the power mirrors move on their own when parked..... I have to reposition them at random, sometimes every time I drive, sometimes not for a few days...

Does anyone elses mirrors move like this?

Thanks,
Tyler

Amelie 02-06-2012 07:01 PM

Re: Ghost Power Mirrors

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJLong1121 (Post 568799)
On my WJ - the power mirrors move on their own when parked..... I have to reposition them at random, sometimes every time I drive, sometimes not for a few days...

Does anyone elses mirrors move like this?

Thanks,
Tyler

I think the most likely choice would be that it's a memory setting stored in the WJ from the previous owner.

"
All WJ models feature one of three different types of outside rear view mirrors and either of two types of inside rear view mirrors. Basic WJ models include standard power operated outside mirrors. All outside mirrors have 3 manual detent positions, full forward, full rearward, and normal. Premium power heated mirrors, with and without the driver's side auto-dimming feature, are offered or included on other models. A memory system that automatically positions the power mirrors for two different drivers is included on most Limited and all Overland models. The memory system on 1999-2002 WJ's included both outside mirrors. Starting with 2003 model production, the memory function was dropped from the passenger side mirror."

TJLong1121 02-06-2012 07:10 PM

Im aware of the memory settings, I have the heated with driver auto dimming. But even if I reset the settings they move on their own....

Amelie 02-06-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJLong1121 (Post 568812)
Im aware of the memory settings, I have the heated with driver auto dimming. But even if I reset the settings they move on their own....

Well if you're aware of it then it's most likely an electrical or sensor problem then. Have you tried doing any research on your specific problem?

Have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable and trying to reset the system?

By the way what year is your Jeep?

TJLong1121 02-06-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 568820)
Well if you're aware of it then it's most likely an electrical or sensor problem then. Have you tried doing any research on your specific problem?

Have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable and trying to reset the system?

I have had the battery unplugged from the jeep for a week once while I was out of town, same issue...

This is me attempting to do research and see if anyone else has had the issue and what the fix was, Ive tried searching but no luck finding anything.

Its not the end of the world, just annoying at times to have to readjust them.

Tyler

Amelie 02-06-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJLong1121 (Post 568821)
I have had the battery unplugged from the jeep for a week once while I was out of town, same issue...

This is me attempting to do research and see if anyone else has had the issue and what the fix was, Ive tried searching but no luck finding anything.

Its not the end of the world, just annoying at times to have to readjust them.

Yes, that's strange, I've never had any kind of problem like that. Maybe someone with a manual can chime in and help you out.

In terms of add-ons/mods, What have you done to your Jeep so far?

Frango100 02-06-2012 09:14 PM

There are some position feedback potentiometers in the mirrors. The memory heated seats/mirror module keeps the potentiometers values in its memory and should put the mirrors back in the saved position when switching ignition on. Moisture or oxidation inside the potentiometers could cause different resistance values depending on temperature and atmospheric conditions and cause them to move when switching the ignition on.
Are both mirrors moving at the same time, or is it only one side?

01grand 02-07-2012 10:04 AM

What Frango100 said makes sense. I had a problem like this shortly after I first got my Jeep, but just dealt with it. 2 winters ago I had an accident that claimed my passenger mirror. Ever since I replaced it the problem went away.

dirtrider 02-07-2012 11:40 AM

I got the same problem in my 01. Sometimes its both mirrors other times one and it doesn't do it all the time. I just learn to deal with it. As a matter of fact it hasn't done it for about a month or so. Probably something along the lines of a short or dirty connectors.

TJLong1121 02-07-2012 05:03 PM

I found the fix on JeepForum. You need to turn off "remote linked to memory" in the overhead console. I do not have the problem anymore :) Hope this helps some others in the future.

Amelie 02-07-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJLong1121 (Post 569482)
I found the fix on JeepForum. You need to turn off "remote linked to memory" in the overhead console. I do not have the problem anymore :) Hope this helps some others in the future.

lol I was going to mention that during the beginning of your problem but I didn't think it was the EVIC, I thought it was the key fob.

Frango100 02-08-2012 05:32 AM

With the remote linked to memory, every time you unlock the doors with the keyfob, the system looks if the mirrors and seats are in the saved positions. When the potentiometers have a problem, it can give different positions for mirrors and seats. The same thing would happen when you press the memory 1 or 2 position switch.
With the remote not linked to memory, at least you won´t have to set the mirrors every time.
And if you are the only driver, or only has 1 keyfob in use, there is no reason to have the remote linked to memory.