Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   HID foglight problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/hid-foglight-problems-36846.html)

ocsurf16 02-06-2012 08:58 PM

HID foglight problems

anybody else ever have trouble with there HID fog light install? installed several times and solder as well there is no connection issues.

install, turn on fine, turn them on and off a few times and nothing..no power check with test light from the factory wires and not getting anypower....wait 20 min and it does the same thing again...im stumped on this car..the techs are offering no help...i did not buy the relay harness either i was told not needed

armoredsaint 02-06-2012 09:08 PM

Re: HID foglight problems

needs more detail brosef...

Scottina06 02-06-2012 09:10 PM

most hid kit ballasts have a safety switch built into them if you turn them on/off too much in a short period of time......it will not allow the ballasts to fire. Turning the lamps off/on a lot in a short period of time is hard on the ballasts and bulbs.

Taillight Solutions 02-06-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocsurf16 (Post 568894)
anybody else ever have trouble with there HID fog light install? installed several times and solder as well there is no connection issues.

install, turn on fine, turn them on and off a few times and nothing..no power check with test light from the factory wires and not getting anypower....wait 20 min and it does the same thing again...im stumped on this car..the techs are offering no help...i did not buy the relay harness either i was told not needed

Possible Issues

1.Possibly a defective ballast or capsule

2. If your NOT getting a power reading from the stock wiring your ballast/s are probably drawing too much current to fire up the HID capsule/s and the IPCM is shutting down the fog lamp output to protect the vehicles electrical system. If your NOT using a relay harness kit to power those HID ballasts I would strongly suggest you install one. Your just asking for problems if you continue to ask the vehicle's limited fog lamp output to fire up the ballasts.

Amelie 02-06-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taillight Solutions (Post 568945)
If your NOT getting a power reading from the stock wiring your ballast/s are probably drawing too much current to fire up the HID capsule/s and the IPCM is shutting down the fog lamp output to protect the vehicles electrical system. If your NOT using a relay harness kit to power those HID ballasts I would strongly suggest you install one. Your just asking for problems if you continue to ask the vehicle's limited fog lamp output to fire up the ballasts.

Yes, I would go with the wire harness option as well. Strongly recommended.

ocsurf16 02-08-2012 08:40 AM

so there is such saftey factor of the factory harness shutting down and not producing power thats good to know

i know shutting them on and off several times could overheat them but never had an issue like this in any other car/truck ive installed these in besides the chrysler canbus issues

the seller is absolute that it doesnt need a relay after sending the kit back as well to be bench tested for $45...on the phone with seller for 25 min on phone/hold he said does not need the harness and its my connections...after i hung up ordered the $40 harness from them online hopefully this works

bmrisko 02-08-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocsurf16 (Post 569833)
after i hung up ordered the $40 harness from them online hopefully this works

Wow...relay harnesses can be had for under $10 shipped all day long on eBay.

sined240 02-08-2012 02:49 PM

Which kit?

Amelie 02-08-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 569840)
Wow...relay harnesses can be had for under $10 shipped all day long on eBay.

I would make sure you spend a little more money to get a quality harness, not all are created equal.

bmrisko 02-08-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 570138)
I would make sure you spend a little more money to get a quality harness, not all are created equal.

There are plenty of quality harnesses from eBay made with quality wire, fuses, good connectors and relays. There is not much to an HID relay, I know a lot of people who have made their own. The one I got for $8 has been going strong for 4+ years. Just make sure the fuses are sized for your stock system so you do not draw more power than the stock system will allow.

I bet the store selling them for $40 is laughing all the way to the bank!