Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Carbon Fiber Vinyl entire jeep... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/carbon-fiber-vinyl-entire-jeep-36878.html)

mcalc55 02-07-2012 11:00 AM

Carbon Fiber Vinyl entire jeep...

Has anyone seen it done? I've seen some bmw's and audi's done but I feel like it might look more appropriate on a sporty car than an SUV...any thoughts? I don't like my silver much and I have plasti dipped rims already...

DaMitsuMan 02-07-2012 11:10 AM

Re: Carbon Fiber Vinyl entire jeep...

I don't know about carbon fiber but someone on here has done a full wrap job with matte black in the WJ. I can't quite remember who it was but I am sure someone can help you out with the name. It looks pretty good, can't even tell its a wrap.

mcalc55 02-07-2012 11:17 AM

Yeah I was thinking a black wrap would be sweet too but if I'm going to spend all that time as a DIY project I almost want to try something totally different, like carbon fiber...just not sure if it would look silly. Id hate to spend 20+ hours wrapping a car just to have it look like any other black jeep..

Natedawg9640 02-07-2012 11:20 AM

it'd look badass i'm sure. you can tell a big difference between the CF wraps and just matte black. although i caution you, it's outdoor life span isn't very long. rated for 1-4 years depending on climate.

mcalc55 02-07-2012 11:28 AM

That's a valid point - although i drive about 5,000/year and its garage kept in my apartment complex in North Carolina. I just picked up a WK with 65k miles after trading in my WJ with 85k. Without the snow and stuff I feel like it would last a decently long time. Plus i could imagine it might get old after a while...at which point I'd probably just take it off and plastidip the whole thing :)

Most of this idea just came from ordering 3M DINOC CF to black out my B/C pillars cause the plastidip looks sorta mehh right now. The idea rocks but when you get up close it just doesn't look all that clean.

Scottina06 02-07-2012 11:32 AM

theres a wk2 member here who wrapped his 2011

Scottina06 02-07-2012 11:33 AM

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...ht=wrapped+wk2

mcalc55 02-07-2012 12:15 PM

Awesome. That pretty much sealed the deal. A little nervous though since I don't have much experience but I have a buddy whose pretty handy so he'll help out. I'm going to start with the pillars this weekend to replace the plastidip on there now. Then maybe the hood, that would probably be the easiest part as I start getting comfortable with it.

Is a heat gun a total necessity for this? I was thinking of getting one to help lay dynamat as well anyway but my apartment complex doesn't have any outlets nearby so it's pretty inconvenient when its in the garage.. might have to invest in a cordless one

DaMitsuMan 02-07-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 569251)

Ahh yes, I totally forgot about that. Nice re-up.

jayloop 02-08-2012 10:08 AM

wow, I missed that thread first time around. That turned out awesome. Goold luck with your wrap and post pics!

TurboDiesel 02-08-2012 08:08 PM

what if u matte black the body and carbon fibre the hood roof and part of the trunk or the whole trunk?

huskyenergy91 02-08-2012 08:20 PM

I think a few parts here and there will look good