Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Steering wheel makes a clicking noise :/ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/steering-wheel-makes-a-clicking-noise-36881.html)

Bebenekd 02-07-2012 12:34 PM

Steering wheel makes a clicking noise :/

I just bought my 05 Cherokee, and the steering wheel makes a clicking noise when turning. I know it has something to do with the turning signal. I read some other threads, but some say it's the cam from the turning signals and others say its the clock spring! Does anyone know? I want to be sure to fix it as soon as possible. I heard the clock spring is a whole set so it can be expensive to buy! I hope that's not it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-07-2012 12:38 PM

Re: Steering wheel makes a clicking noise :/

Clockspring is $600 hopefully thats not your problem

dr.lee.baugh 02-07-2012 01:14 PM

Here is the TSB related to that issue:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_1900505.pdf

Mine used to click all the time when I first got it, never bothered to take it in.

Truthfully, I couldn't tell you whether it still does it or if the cancel cam and/or release lever eventually wore down to the point it no longer interferes (150,000+ miles later).

In any event, it is usually not the clockspring and can be repaired relatively cheaply (especially if you do it yourself) by replacing the turn signal cancel cam/ring.

Bebenekd 02-07-2012 09:44 PM

Thanks that was a lot of help!

Chaoul1 02-07-2012 10:40 PM

If it's the Mutli-Function Switch (TurnSignal Switch) while turning the wheel put your hand on the Multi-Function Switch and if you feel if clicking then you should replace that.

Khaki4.7 07-30-2012 08:04 PM

I replaced mine from the dealership 6 weeks ago, and now ithe noise is back again , Kudos to the Jeep dealer in Oneonta - they had one in stock today and let me swap it in the parking lot. It had a newer manufacturing date on the box - I hope it is more gooder :) It did look the same as the last one far as I can tell... clearly a weak link.

greenwayer 05-18-2013 12:31 AM

Hate to revive an old thread but my jeep is making the same noise so I'm gonna try to do the cancel cam fix. My question is the service manual says to torque the steering wheel to 45 ft lbs. how crucial is this? Should I buy a torque wrench to do this or is just hand tight good enough?

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-18-2013 12:45 AM

45 isn't that tight, you should be good by hand tightening. I did mine by hand iirc

greenwayer 05-18-2013 12:24 PM

So it doesn't need to be exactly 45 just a rough approximation is fine. The stealership tried to tell me I would need a torque wrench to make sure it doesn't exceed 45 ft lbs.Also I have read that I will need a clockspring pin to keep the clockspring centered, is this true? If so where can I buy one at an autoparts store?

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-18-2013 03:10 PM

I used a tiny screw driver to keep the clockspring centered. you just need something to plug into the hole on the clockspring to keep it from moving on you. you should purchase a torque wrench, they are good to have around. you can even get one at harbor freight for like $8 if you don't want to spend a lot on one. it isn't the greatest quality but it gets the job done. I have checked mine using a much more expensive torque wrench and it is quite accurate.

greenwayer 05-18-2013 03:51 PM

Cool, thanks for your help bro. I will be doing the repair this weekend. Im sure the harbor freight torque wrenches are good for anything non power train related.