Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Steering Wheel "Moan" (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/steering-wheel-moan-36892.html)

JeepMe 02-07-2012 02:41 PM

Steering Wheel "Moan"

For the past 4-6 months my steering wheel has been making a "moaning" noise when quickly turned to the right. The noise is coming from somewhere in the steering column, inside the Jeep. Has/does anyone else have this issue and know what it is or how to make it stop?

It only does it when turning to the right. If I slowely turn the wheel to the right, it doesn't make any noise.

cheapjeep 02-08-2012 04:03 PM

Re: Steering Wheel "Moan"

Try this first. http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1900203.pdf

Frango100 02-08-2012 05:30 PM

The moaning comes from the steering column? Inside the column there is nothing which could make a moaning noise. The tip from Dave is a good one, it can be that the noise is transferred via the steering gearbox to the steering column, making it appear to come from the column itself.
If its not the hoses, the only thing i can think of is the steering pump or low fluid level, but that would not explain the noise when steering to one side only.

Ypahihi 02-08-2012 06:35 PM

There you go,
I've had this noise since I brought my WJ and have ignored it from the onset. 20 minutes under the bonnet and no more noise.
Jeepme, I hope Cheapjeeps link helps to solve your problem as it has for me.

JeepMe 02-08-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 570031)

I'll try that and see how it works (tomorrow when it's light outside). I'll report back after completion.

JeepMe 02-09-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 570092)
The moaning comes from the steering column? Inside the column there is nothing which could make a moaning noise. The tip from Dave is a good one, it can be that the noise is transferred via the steering gearbox to the steering column, making it appear to come from the column itself.
If its not the hoses, the only thing i can think of is the steering pump or low fluid level, but that would not explain the noise when steering to one side only.

It doesn't sound like it's being transfered through the steering column, it sounds like it's coming from where the wheel connects to the column. The other thing is that I can feel like a "grittyness" in the steering wheel when it makes the noise.

I tried to take a video yesterday, but it was being stuborn and not making the noise when I tried. :rolleyes:
But I'm still hoping it is the hoses and it has something to do w/ the fluid rate through them causing the hoses to hit eachother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypahihi (Post 570132)
There you go,
I've had this noise since I brought my WJ and have ignored it from the onset. 20 minutes under the bonnet and no more noise.
Jeepme, I hope Cheapjeeps link helps to solve your problem as it has for me.

Could you feel it in your steering wheel?

JeepMe 02-12-2012 09:13 PM

The hoses are far from touching, so that's not it. :(
I also checked the fluid level and that's all good. I don't really have a clue what it could be, but I'm not too concerned.

clodbahls 03-08-2012 05:48 AM

I too have this problem> After much investigation it is not coming from no where but column. I am taking steering wheel off today for further inspection. I was told that a miss aligned column could cause it to make noise eventually. This happens over time from prior owners holdn on to and using steering wheel for a "oh S*#T" handle.

Ypahihi 03-08-2012 10:06 AM

No grittiness in the steering. It was just the moan and the vibration from the moan.
Sorry can't think of anything else to offer an answer.

JeepMe 03-09-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clodbahls (Post 589286)
I too have this problem> After much investigation it is not coming from no where but column. I am taking steering wheel off today for further inspection. I was told that a miss aligned column could cause it to make noise eventually. This happens over time from prior owners holdn on to and using steering wheel for a "oh S*#T" handle.

If you find something, post it and let me know. It's not a big enough issue that I want to go take the column apart when it's cold outside.

BLK02OVERLAND 07-04-2012 08:22 AM

The bulletin is a good resource. If it does not address the problem, you may wish to consider front or rear differentials as the source of the noise. Differential fluid changes are necessary to keep the all wheel drive system in good running order. When left neglected, they tend to make a moaning and grinding noise, accompanied with some physical stuttering during tight cornering maneuvers. Just a suggestion.

Sjf7351 03-14-2013 05:25 AM

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I to have this exact problem. I wonder if the op or anybody else has found the cause of this? I had a shop tell me that it was the steering gear even though it can only be heard inside the cabin.