Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Delivery times from ship to dealer (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/delivery-times-from-ship-to-dealer-36899.html)

josh3008 02-07-2012 05:23 PM

Delivery times from ship to dealer

My car arrives off the ship in Freo today, does anyone know how long it normally takes to go through customs. My dealer is trying to tell me that it won't be ready to pick up till next month? i am getting a nudge bar and towbar fitted also leather seats. the worst part is they won't give me a definate date of when the car will be ready. any help will be greatly appreciated.

allypally 02-07-2012 07:46 PM

Re: Delivery times from ship to dealer

Current times between ship to dealer range between at best 2-3 weeks.
The car goes to a intermediatory firm which looks after customs clearance as well as adds the compliance plates. That time can vary if there are quarantine issues, such as grass seeds found on tires of a batch which arrived in NSW just before X-Mas. Those cars took upto 6 weeks to get to the dealer.
WA appears to be quicker than Vic and NSW. Good luck with the waiting in this final stage.

Deserthucker 02-07-2012 08:27 PM

Took about 4 days for mine in freo

frog_a_lot 02-07-2012 09:12 PM

Took about 6 weeks for mine

josh3008 02-07-2012 09:56 PM

Wow. Quite a big variance then, I hope to follow in deserthuckers foot steps. I like the sound of 4 days.

John47 02-07-2012 10:03 PM

I was quoted 10 days for ours to come from docking in Brisbane to the dealer on the Gold Coast, then 3 days to PD and fit towbar and wiring.
Seems to me plenty of fat in there.....

ENFORCER 02-08-2012 12:33 AM

8 days for me, but I also had to tell the dealer it had arrived in Oz,

josh3008 02-08-2012 03:42 AM

Thanks everyone, i have told my dealer and trying to lock in a date to pick it up but they just return my calls anymore, am thinking of ringing the manager to get some action

allypally 02-08-2012 05:04 AM

Drop a hint that you may be going o'seas on a business trip which could last as long as 6 weeks. That might hurry them up. They wont be happy having to pay for the car, then have to await your paymnt.

josh3008 02-08-2012 06:23 AM

I may try that one actually. Hopefully the car will fly through customs and I won't have a problem. They have been great up until now, just trying to get them to commit to a date. Preferably in February. Lol

frog_a_lot 02-08-2012 05:10 PM

From what happened to me, the dealer wont give a specific date because if the car gets held up at customs for extra time then you will get annoyed that you cant pick up the car when they said.
Thats why my dealer wont give anyone actual pick up dates, tey will simply give an estimate. Just think if they had said to me "Come pick it up before xmas(when it was meant to be there)" and then the i rocked up and couldnt actually get it for another 3 weeks, due to customs and grass seeds.

Problem is, there is nothing you can do to speed up the boat or customs and pre-delivery. Most of the time the dealer only has it for 3 days or so, the rest is out of their hands.

pcfg69 02-08-2012 07:50 PM

it took 10 days to come from dock to delivery
customs takes forever. it is never quick enough
they turned the car around in dealers in 1 day
i got tow bar fitted on 1000km service