Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Downunder - Orders to Delivery thread

67K views 541 replies 65 participants last post by  Karter34 
#1 ·
Thought it might be appropriate to seperate the discussions in the W2K Downunder thread relating to building and delivery status. It would give a common perspective for those tracking their cars, and allow the other thread to be used for general discussion for Aussies... and others who have an opinion or question.

#3 ·
Ordered mine first week of November, advised late Feb/early March potential delivery. Dealer sent me a screen shot last week off their computer showing production date was 27/1/12, location is currently Factory Vehicle Yard, planned delivery date 11/4/12.
I'm working on delivery mid to late May assuming customs delays etc.
Any earlier is just a bonus.
The longer it takes, the more I get to read from everyone else, and it gives the aftermarket guys more time to R&D accessories.
I'm planning on keeping this truck for minimum 10 years @ approx 15,000km's per year.
I can wait.....................but not forever:)

#4 ·
You can get lucky...

Left a deposit for a Black Overland on Dec 11 '11 for delivery mid Jan '12. Can was available for pickup as at Jan 18 but ive had to wait as I couldnt sell my current car that quick. Pickup is Friday!

Turns out it was a cancelled order through the original purchaser being denied finance.

#8 ·
The Tarago just docked in Brissy on the 11th so hopefully was on that one :) Thats the boat mine is on, its on its way to Melb, then to Freo..!!
I ordered mine a couple of weeks after yours also. (Approx 23rd Oct)

#9 ·
I ordered a CRD Overland Black on black on black wood on the 12th November. I did request a 2012 build. Dealer told me today that Car is finished and waiting shippment. I can track the boats, but he still couldnt give any more details other than maybe Late feb/early march. I too am happy to wait (its acually for wife and kids....god help me). Shan

#10 ·
Hi. Sounds e your wife and kids will be having a great new ride.
If you ask the dealer for the VIN you should be able to track it on the ship.
By becoming a forum contributor, you can also get a build sheet.

Reactions: SKM12
#12 ·
Starting to wonder if I should be worried - I paid a deposit on 21/12/11 for a Laredo CRD. On 20/1/12 the dealer called to say that the colour wasn't available after all, but the "good news" was that our 2nd choice, Winter Chill, would be available 4 weeks before any other colour, but no actual date. Then on 10/2/12 we finally got a COM number and were told it was due into Aus in mid-April.
I've been added to the build tracking page by Milous and the vehicle is in PR (pre-release) and has been since 17/12/11, before I paid the deposit.
Given the 5-week shipping time (I've heard?), that means it needs to be scheduled, built and on the boat in about 4 weeks. Has anyone had experience with this - does it sound feasible? Thanks.

#13 ·
PR STATUS = Pre Release, and basically means your car may be one of the first to be painted in a new colour when it is going to be released. Sounds a bit odd, as I was under the impression that Winter Chill had already been released.
Since the car is not yet at D1 Status, I doubt if you would see your car before May.
You will have a better indication once the car has actually left the production line. I have seen cars sit around after being built for over 1 month before being shipped to a port, and others only a few days.
I would be asking the Dealer why the car is listed as PRE RELEASE.

#15 ·
Anyone had issues getting the VON number outta their Dealer?

I was told that you should get this about a week after deposit taken, called up late Jan sales guys appeared to no know if the order has even been placed.

Losing confidence quickly here...any suggestions how to get this via alternate means?

#18 ·
My dealer contact would not give me a number.....claimed several times that they (the dealership) had no reference to pass on until the Jeep landed in Aus, then they would get a VIN from Jeep Aus.
I knew, and he knew, it was rubbish but I bit my tongue as we have a long way yet to go in this relationship - I don't want to get off side before I even take delivery.
It is one aspect of customer relations that differ markedly from dealer to dealer witnessed by the various posts from Aus members of this and other forums.

I did see posted here somewhere that a name and phone number was given for a contact in customer relations at Jeep HO who was able to help. Sorry I can't recollect where it was now. Someone in the know will be along in a minute....

#16 ·
From what I can gather, the process generally works as follows,
You place an order with the Salesman, who in turns hands it to their Stock Controller, who in turns sends it to Jeep Australia, who in turn send it to Jeep International ( Fiat UK), who in turn sends it to Jeep US for allocation and scheduling.
An Order number is then allocated.
The process then reverses the workflow, until that order number is told to the salesman, who in turn has no intention of supplying it to the customer*. (*aka pain in the a**). Since we live in an electronic world, that process should not take more than a couple of days.
Where it begins to come unstuck, is where the various points hang onto the order. For example, the stock controller, who generally is in no rush, and is also probably the person trying to sell paint protection at the point of you paying a deposit, may submit order requests once a week. You also have to assume that the stock controller and salesman hate each other and refuse to communicate with each other.
Also, it is widely known that Jeep Australia is considerered to be the centre of some collossal seminova black hole, where any information is held onto as if they would lose their purpose if divulged. It is also suspected that they may be illiterate, but that has not been as yet misproven.
Another issue, which could hold up your car for lightyears is if there is some new colour, which was reportedly released some years ago, but has never actually found it's way into a spraygun, or a modification to the car's design, that even though they have told everyone that it is in production, they lied.

Now, once you get an Order number, you then need to probably wait until they decide to actually build the car. That can take a further 4 weeks. You think you are in the homestraight at this stage and begin to purchase your first can of tyreblack to celebrate. But NO. The car can then sit in various storage yards in Michigan State. These have various names, and you are safe, as long as the "Java Yard" is not mentioned. If your car goes there, you may as well buy a Ford Territory to tie you over. After all that, your car gets onto a railcar, which slowly goes from siding to siding while the crew have cigarette breaks in the back seat of your new car, as it makes it's way to Baltimore, Curtis Bay. There they place it in a queue, change the queue, then change it again until they need to go home for a sleep. That can take 1 - 2 weeks before a ship arrives to take it on it's penultimate journey to the nearest wharf to your dealer.
Thinking you are in the home stretch, you go out and purchase one of those smelly tree cards to hang off your rearview mirror, but unfortunatly, that may have dried out before you get to see the car. You see now Customs are involved, so they take their sweet time in inspecting your pride and joy. When they find that cigarette ash on the back floor (remember the train crew?), they decide to quarantine for a few weeks just to see if the ash grows into anything. After they realise the ash is in fact ash, they spray it with mortein, then move it to the trucks to take it to the dealership.
Almost there.... Now, the dealer, having no stock to show more potential buyers, has the car displayed in the showroom for a week or so, before calling you and telling you the car is now ready. Congratulation for surviving th purchase of a Jeeep Grand Cherokee.

#22 ·
It is pathetic that we need to go to these levels to get a car we have paid for. I had to make over 20 phone calls including the national sales manager to get my car. They realised I was not going to give up until I had my VIN.

#24 ·
Milous can use a COM or CON number which is a 9?digit number starting with an E. I tend to believe the dealers that they don't have a VIN, it seems Chrysler's MO is to deal in misinformation and i don't think the dealers and even Chrysler Australia are immune. I had more current info than the Chrysler state sales manager when mine was being shipped.

#25 ·
I agree that dealers and even Jeep Oz have usually less information than we do but I blame that on laziness on their part. They *could* have all the information if they just would care a little bit about their customers.

If I would be a dealer I would have my collection of direct phone numbers to the factory and all important people so I could make sure I was a few steps ahead of my customers.

#26 ·
I got my Order number (E xxxxxx) within 2 weeks of placing an order.
When the car is built, and goes to "KZ "status, it is invoiced. That invoice will have the Order number as well as the VIN. That stage is generally at least 8 weeks before delivery.
My guess is that the ONLY reasons that the dealer will not supply you info is becuase they do not want to give you a date for delivery then find out that there is a delay, or they want to place the car in the showroom for a few days to attract potential buyers.
If you say the car is due for delivery in a week, that means the car is already in the country. It may already be at the dealership.
I certainly would not be bothered about upsetting the dealer. After all, you are his client, not the other way around.
Mind you, the only benefit of having a VIN at this point in time is to obtain a Build Sheet from the factory.

#28 · (Edited)
O Dear
just got an update from my dealer......Jeep vehicles that recently landed in Brisbane from the vessels Oberon, Texas and the Tarago have been quarantined, and not yet released to compliance.

The dealer read to me from an email from Chrysler - it didn't state the reason, just that the vehicles are still subject to clearance/compliance and therefore delayed. It is a Customs issue apparently. They have people on the ground apparently assisting in screening but no idea when the backlog will be sorted.

I would guess that this will snowball onto other ports as these vessels unload.

Ours was on the Tarago - bugger....

#29 · (Edited)
Thnks for the updtes, as I am sure a few of the members here are expecting cars on those ships. Generally Bris and Perth are a lot faster in clearance than Port Kembla and Melb.
The problems may be as a result in the cars sitting around in Michigan yards as well as days/weeks on the wharf at Curtis Bay.

#30 · (Edited)
Latest update from the dealer this evening after checking with Chrysler.
Vehicles from Oberon were released to Prixcar 2 days ago, they are now working on the Texas vehicles. Time frame currently and expected is 8 days per vessel. They will start on the Tarago shipment after all Texas vehicles are released.
Our delivery is now back to mid March - a full 3 weeks later than initially anticipated.
I guess we won't be the only ones disappointed.

#34 ·
Yep, you would think that the shipping agents would be well aware of Aus quarantine.....it would also not only be Chrysler vehicles, as BMW also ships out of Curtis Bay and on the same vessels - interesting to know whether they are also experiencing delays.
On the other hand I know the vehicles that were shipped around early December (the currently quarantined ones) were parked outside after build and travelled in heavy snow storms. If they were driven at all in snow or slush to load or unload they would be impossible to keep clean underneath. Aus won't let a vehicle in with any dirt showing - they have to be spotless.

Anyway - I dunno and nothing I can do about it except pace....

#35 ·
I guess in the summation of the above we are all dealing with some of the slickest operations out there, the American Auto Industry probably unionized to the hilt and really another Govt department and AQS!
Not to mention the Stealers.

#38 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm just after some confirmation, especially from those who tracked their build status on the forum (and correct me if I'm wrong at any point) -

A build status of D1 means the factory has scheduled to build it at some point in the future, right? And the D1 date is the date that they put it on the schedule - it's not the date it actually starts going down the line.

So assuming the above is correct, how long after placing your order did you move to 'D1' status? And how long after the D1 status date did it actually start going down the line?

As you've probably seen elsewhere in my whinges, I paid a deposit on 22 December, even though it's a novated lease, to 'speed up the order process'. They then had to change my colour choice on 20 January, and here we are at 20 February and it's still in PR (pre-release). I'm very doubtful that it will land in Australia in mid-April, which was the last guess I got from the dealer.

Any input gratefully accepted. Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.