Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   What's your thoughts on the GY Forteras? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/whats-your-thoughts-on-the-gy-forteras-36978.html)

ColinIllinois 02-09-2012 07:41 AM

What's your thoughts on the GY Forteras?

New Jeep guy here with what may seem like a dumb question. Just bought a JGC Overland about six weeks ago and it has the 20" Forteras as the OEM tire. So far I love the vehicle but the road "feel" and noise is a bit more than what I expected. Not real bad but more than I expected.

Now granted, I drove a Lexus RX350 before this so maybe I was just spoiled with the road feel, noise, smoothness, etc. Is the larger size tire and Jeep suspension giving me more of the road feel or is this just one of those typical things where the manufacturer saved a bit on the OEM tires?

New owners tend to be nit picky for a few months after they get new vehicles so maybe that is just where I am right now.

So, if it's not too much trouble I would like your opinions.

Thanks. Colin,

BobsWK2 02-09-2012 07:24 PM

Re: What's your thoughts on the GY Forteras?

I had a 2010 BMW M3 Coupe (all stock) prior to the 12 GC Overland and I couldn't believe how quiet the new WK2 was. There is hardly any wind or tire noise. The M3 comes with summer tires so they were pretty noisy on the freeway.

ColdCase 02-09-2012 08:42 PM

20 inch low profile tires by nature give you more road feel. Many of us prefer the improved road feel and control. There are quieter tires available, but you will probably need to go to 18 inch soft sidewall tires if you want a soft quiet ride.

These tires are also wider then most and have a tendency to follow road crowns and imperfections more than the skinny tires on your old RX.

moosehead 02-10-2012 11:38 AM

^Agree with Cold Case. While there seems to be a ton of hate for the Forteras, IME they have been solid summer tires, are a decent spec for the WK2, and even hold up to towing and light snow if you don't push it in those conditions. While I may upgrade them eventually, it will only be once they wear out.

FWIW, each November I switch out to a winter/trail set of 18" Firestone Dest AT's, and back to the 20" Forteras in June.

99formulam6 02-10-2012 01:24 PM

I have them on my WK and XK and I think they are a fine tire. I don't live in an area where it snows, and I don't take them in the mud or anything. But for daily driving duties, I think they are fine.

Eric67 02-11-2012 05:46 AM

I now have blizzaks on, these are a lot firmer than the Forteras. I like the comfort of the Forteras a lot. The only downside is the mph range so the JGC gets a speed limiter :mad:

jp467 02-11-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinIllinois (Post 570417)
New Jeep guy here with what may seem like a dumb question. Just bought a JGC Overland about six weeks ago and it has the 20" Forteras as the OEM tire. So far I love the vehicle but the road "feel" and noise is a bit more than what I expected. Not real bad but more than I expected.

Now granted, I drove a Lexus RX350 before this so maybe I was just spoiled with the road feel, noise, smoothness, etc. Is the larger size tire and Jeep suspension giving me more of the road feel or is this just one of those typical things where the manufacturer saved a bit on the OEM tires?

New owners tend to be nit picky for a few months after they get new vehicles so maybe that is just where I am right now.

So, if it's not too much trouble I would like your opinions.

Thanks. Colin,

I tried a couple different tires on mine bacause I thought I could a better ride with less road feel through the steering wheel. In the end I am back with the Foterias it drives the best with those. When they wear out that is what I will be replacing them with also.

kc92886 02-14-2012 11:42 AM

I had the Fortera's on the OEM 20's. After pushing their liimits off road, I blew through two of them. One was a pinch flat and the other time I put a sharp rock right through the tread on a SoCal desert road. I learned my lesson, albiet an expensive one, and have now gone to an 18 inch rim with Yokohama Geolander AT/S 265/60/18.

IMO the Fortera's are a really nice highway tire, hence the HL, which I believe stands for highway luxury. However, as many on this forum have noted, it was a little weird that Jeep chose these tires for what an off road capable vehicle. If you aren't doing much off roading, the Fortera's are great and really grip the road, especially with 4x4.

Escape 02-14-2012 02:54 PM

Just my opinion.

GoodYears are JUNK!

rich mac 02-14-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 573862)
Just my opinion.

GoodYears are JUNK!

Why?

ColinIllinois 02-15-2012 07:54 AM

Thanks to everyone for your comments. One more question: What tire pressure with the Forteras gave you the best around town ride?

Jeep_addicted 02-15-2012 04:10 PM

To answer your question about tire pressure.

depending on the temperature of where you live and how much driving you do would determine the tweeks you make.

I would suggest the following options:
  • adjust it in 1 psi to find what is optimal for you either up or down but no more than that. (these SUVs are sensitive to tire pressure)
  • In some cases you might find running 1 psi lower psi in the front the best option if you are getting alot of harshness through the steering.