Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Passenger door not closing? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/passenger-door-not-closing-37020.html)

jeepntx 02-09-2012 10:36 PM

Passenger door not closing?

We just started having this issue with my wife's 2011.

After driving, you get out of the Jeep. You close the door, but it just bounces back at you, like the striker and latch are not engaging. Before you close the door,if you pull the handle like you're opening it, it shuts fine.

Now, when you're getting back in after being somewhere, it shuts fine. It only happens after you've been driving.

I've looked at it, messed with it, lubed it, etc., I can't get it to work. I just can't understand why it only does it after you've been driving and not any other time.

It's going to the dealer tomorrow as apparently they haven't heard of this issue.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bigjgcfan 02-09-2012 11:58 PM

Re: Passenger door not closing?

That symptom sounds like you might have a defective door body lock or a broken linkage.

Probably a broken lever spring that would hold the latch hook in place after using the inside pull handle is allowing it to fall back and bang on the striker... Causing you to have to pull the outside door handle in order to reposition it to properly engage the strike and get the door to catch...

The driving motion with the banging & bumping is what's probably happening to trigger this effect, while being parked with no movement to dislodge is not causing it.

Or, you may have a broken or disconnected lock linkage within the door causing the inside pull handle to be compromised & not able to fully engage this inside opening process...

Either way, you should hopefully be under warranty on this... Good Luck!

P.S.- Any chance that you were recently locked-out of your Jeep & someone tried to get in on that passenger door using car-opening tools?
The wrong person or tools can really mess-up those lock linkages.

jeepntx 02-10-2012 10:34 AM

It's sitting at the dealer right now, so I'll know in a little while. We've got the 6/100k warranty, so it should be covered.

And it's never had to be opened by a locksmith and it's never been broken into.

Hopefully it's something simple.

jeepntx 02-10-2012 12:59 PM

Well, looks like you were right. They didn't go into detail, just said they had to order a new latch assembly. They also said it is a TSB, so they ordered quite a few in anticipation of more coming in needing repairs.

bigpanda 02-10-2012 08:13 PM

Check the latch. I had same problem with my driver door and dealer found out latch was loose. Loose latch, I've never seen this problem with any of my previous vehicles. Build quality problem, Chrysler...

sleepy93 05-17-2013 08:42 PM

This problem just recently happed to me. The passenger door bounced back. Going to the dealer tomorrow.