Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Oxygen Sensors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/oxygen-sensors-37039.html)

01grand 02-10-2012 10:11 AM

Oxygen Sensors

I am replacing my oxygen sensors before going on a long trip, my mileage has been down lately (and not just because of my right foot...:D) and I want to improve it. I did run a data log and the response time seems to be slower from what I have heard it should be. I went to Rock Auto and they list 2 brands, Denso and Delphi that both say they are the O.E. maker. Anybody know which one is or have any experience as to which one I should use? Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

tkdgirl 02-10-2012 03:13 PM

Re: Oxygen Sensors

I'm interested in a reply as well. At 138,258, I'm looking to replace mine as well.

cheapjeep 02-10-2012 03:41 PM

Boy bud don't know. Maybe ask Tony he just changed his.

prsdrat 02-10-2012 06:06 PM

According to jeepgcoman in this post http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/oxygen-sensors-and-their-role-in-engine-management-a-primer-20300.html he list NTK as the OEM part. I have a related question,
the MOPAR part lists Federal vs. California parts, will the PCM have problems if
the Fed parts are used instead of the California parts? My question stems from the
fact that NTK lists only one part number(per side ).

TJXJWJ 02-10-2012 10:31 PM

I've seen no Improvement on mpg after a few weeks but that could be due to crappy winter grade gas. I got mine from mopar. Justforjeeps I think. Mine is California emissions too so I had to get four effing sensors

Amelie 02-11-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 571501)
I've seen no Improvement on mpg after a few weeks but that could be due to crappy winter grade gas. I got mine from mopar. Justforjeeps I think. Mine is California emissions too so I had to get four effing sensors

California emissions? I thought you were in Ohio lol

Frango100 02-11-2012 02:58 PM

Checked the original sensors on my European build jeep and i have Denso sensors installed.
If you have the 4 sensors installed, take care that the upstream sensors are different then the downstream ones.

01grand 02-11-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prsdrat (Post 571325)
According to jeepgcoman in this post http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=20300 he list NTK as the OEM part. I have a related question,
the MOPAR part lists Federal vs. California parts, will the PCM have problems if
the Fed parts are used instead of the California parts? My question stems from the
fact that NTK lists only one part number(per side ).

I did read that post, but that was for a WK, not WJ so I wasn't sure if they changed or not.

The oxygen sensors are the same, its just with California emissions you will have an upstream and a downstream on each side of the Y pipe. On the federal emissions Jeeps there will only be one up and one down from the main cat, with no precats on the Y pipe.

California emissions Jeeps were made and sold everywhere across the country, not just in California. I believe some other states have actually adopted similar rules as California, Cali is just the craziest of the states.

01grand 02-11-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 571822)
Checked the original sensors on my European build jeep and i have Denso sensors installed.
If you have the 4 sensors installed, take care that the upstream sensors are different then the downstream ones.

Yep, I checked that. I am only replacing the upstream sensors for now since they control fuel trims, seems the downstream sensors are only to measure cat efficiency. I will do the downstreams soon, but for now my heard earned $$ is also going to replace a leaky water pump....

01grand 02-11-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 571501)

I only got 2 for now (upstream) and a new water pump, my current one is leaking. Well at least at this point my entire cooling system is at most a year old.... :banghead:

I'm hoping that after 138,000 miles and the fact that one had some steering fluid on it from when that was leaking that I will see some improvement, but I won't be disappointed if I don't. You're correct, winter gas definitely sucks monkey balls. I'm also thinking a cat-back exhaust will be coming soon, its a race to see if I can get the funds to order it before it finishes rusting out. Damn over salted roads....:bash:

cheapjeep 02-11-2012 10:28 PM

A little tip Aaron. Water pump is a piece of cake but pull the alt. It's the only way to get it out once removed. Trust me Frango and I have tried. You'll see what we mean.

cheapjeep 02-11-2012 10:32 PM

Also concerning water pumps look for one with a metal impeller like Cardone Select. Stock Mopar is plastic. My plastic one went out at 49k