Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Fuel smell in cab and engine compartment on 2000 WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/fuel-smell-in-cab-and-engine-compartment-on-2000-wj-37042.html)

Jeeper2000 02-10-2012 12:19 PM

Fuel smell in cab and engine compartment on 2000 WJ

:banghead: So as stated in the title im getting fuel fumes in the cab and engine compartment...I think, I say this cause I cant trace the source.. on my 2000 WJ 4.7L. This started about a 2 weeks ago after a spark plug change. I cant seem to trace the leak or where the fumes are coming from. Car is running just fine but I have noticed a significant loss in mpg. Any help would be appreciated as to what I'm missing. I understand the old 90's 4.0's this engine is quite new to me so any direction on where to look and such would be great!

Thanks All :thumbsup:

Archer9 02-10-2012 12:42 PM

Re: Fuel smell in cab and engine compartment on 2000 WJ

Welcome to the garage J2k.
For the smell of gas, the 1st place to check is the fuel injector o-rings. They can start to leak leak when the engine is very cold. I had to change them once on my 87 Cherokee (RIP). It doesn't take much leakage to get that smell of gas in the cab. Not sure if this would affect mileage very much though.

2005JGC 02-11-2012 02:44 AM

check all your fuel lines. with the system pressurized (key on engine off, cycle on as required to keep pressure) with safety glasses on grab your fuel line and gently work it around, I have see ends of fuel lines begin to separate from the hose, it wasnt noticed until someone put their hand on the fuel line and it put just enough strain on the joint is started to spray fuel. If you were just in there musclin around pullin coils around the fuel line there may be some fuel line damage (not saying you were not careful, just suggesting).

Also, welcome to the forum!

01grand 02-12-2012 06:30 PM

Welcome to jg!

I had an injector crack in my old 4.0 ZJ, have someone start the jeep and look around a bit to see of you can see where its coming from. I recommend a helper that is ready to turn off the engine when you find the leak, fuel spraying around the engine bay is a bad thing.

Jeeper2000 02-14-2012 01:53 PM

:thumbsup:These are all great suggestions....Thank you everyone...plans are to get into it this weekend and hopefully come up with an answer.

Is there any chance an oxygen sensor could be going bad casuing the car to run really rich.....this may be a stupid question but one has to ask to gain knowledge..:rolleyes:

Escape 02-14-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper2000 (Post 573819)
:thumbsup:These are all great suggestions....Thank you everyone...plans are to get into it this weekend and hopefully come up with an answer.

Is there any chance an oxygen sensor could be going bad casuing the car to run really rich.....this may be a stupid question but one has to ask to gain knowledge..:rolleyes:

Yes a failed/bad O2 sensor will cause the engine to run rich, but in order to smell it (a lot) you would have to have an exhaust leak before the cat.

Check the fuel system first.

Jeeper2000 02-15-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 573854)
Yes a failed/bad O2 sensor will cause the engine to run rich, but in order to smell it (a lot) you would have to have an exhaust leak before the cat.

Check the fuel system first.

How about directly behind the cat right were the exhaust connects to the cat, I did some welding right there and if my memory serves me correctly there's an Oxygen sensor right there. :confused:

Escape 02-15-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper2000 (Post 574401)
How about directly behind the cat right were the exhaust connects to the cat, I did some welding right there and if my memory serves me correctly there's an Oxygen sensor right there. :confused:

That could do it. I'd check it.

Jeeper2000 02-24-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 574486)
That could do it. I'd check it.

Ya i made the mistake of welding without unplugging it, I'm betting i fried it. It's now surging at highway speeds, but I think I've tackled the fuel smell one of the pressure relief valve caps was finger tight...tightened it up and no smell :confused: weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Do you have any advice on how to test the O2 sensor.

Escape 02-24-2012 01:03 PM

Scan tool or get a new one.

Jeeper2000 03-05-2012 11:28 AM

:mad: Well we are back to the same issuse only this time it's thrown a CEL, im getting this.

P0204
Injector # 4 Control Circuit

What can I do about this should I just replace the Injecter do I have faulty wiring could this still be the O2 sensor :wtf:, I know running cleaner through it is a option but it hasn't seemed to do the trick.

2005JGC 03-05-2012 01:49 PM

verify that your you have power and pcm command to your injector connector with a noid light (plug it into your connector, start the jeep, if it flashes all is good.... from there you need a throttle position sensor for your p0204...

im not joking in the slightest, you need a throttle position sensor.