Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Blind Spot Caused by Drivers Side Mirror (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/blind-spot-caused-by-drivers-side-mirror-37063.html)

yodamel 02-10-2012 07:20 PM

Blind Spot Caused by Drivers Side Mirror

This is a huge safety issue:

When making a left turn on a divided road that has a center median (i.e. major intersection), the drivers side mirror blocks the view of the approaching median as you are making the turn.

The A-pillar and mirror are so big that it is difficult to see exactly where the median is. This causes a distraction while driving.

:slapfight:

bmrisko 02-10-2012 07:50 PM

Re: Blind Spot Caused by Drivers Side Mirror

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodamel (Post 571355)
This is a huge safety issue:

When making a left turn on a divided road that has a center median (i.e. major intersection), the drivers side mirror blocks the view of the approaching median as you are making the turn.

The A-pillar and mirror are so big that it is difficult to see exactly where the median is. This causes a distraction while driving.

:slapfight:

Move your head to look around the pillar? :confused:

berk483 02-10-2012 08:02 PM

:nutkick:Try and get chrysler to buy it back!

armoredsaint 02-10-2012 08:33 PM

I think a mini-van is more suitable for you :p;)

rubicontrail.net 02-10-2012 09:46 PM

The reason the pillar is big is due to rooftop strength regulations... so no it isn't a safety issue, it's a safety feature.

JoeSchmoe007 02-10-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 571372)
Move your head to look around the pillar? :confused:

That's what I do. Thick pillar gives me warm and fuzzy feeling, so I am fine with that.

nek121328 02-10-2012 10:48 PM

Add Ventshades and it's worse. A big blind spot and created some embarrassment with pedestrians. Not much difference with my Ford Fusion.

ColdCase 02-10-2012 11:22 PM

Most recent cars must use thick pillars to meet safety requirements like roll over and side impact. They keep getting thicker and thicker. The pillars do block the driver's view, and I don't know of any cars that still have thin pillars or wrap around windshields. There may be a few. Soon we will be operating windowless cars via cameras and radar :(

yodamel 02-10-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net (Post 571473)
The reason the pillar is big is due to rooftop strength regulations... so no it isn't a safety issue, it's a safety feature.

There IS a blind-spot there, more caused by the size of the mirror than the A-pillar. I've noticed it a few times now.

A lift kit with some 35's would help.

ColdCase 02-11-2012 08:29 AM

You may want to try adjusting the seat differently (perhaps raise it for better view). A little less $$$ than a lift and 35s. :)

yodamel 02-11-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 571641)
You may want to try adjusting the seat differently (perhaps raise it for better view). A little less $$$ than a lift and 35s. :)

Trying that now, thanks, but since I am a tall person, I need the seat all the way down.

It doesn't help the situation that here in Texas almost all the turn lanes are double lanes, so you have to really pay attention to where you are in the lane as you make the turn.

yodamel 02-11-2012 04:20 PM

Raising the seat seems to help a lot. Even just one inch gives better visibility in the turn. I also noticed most SUV's have large mirrors. Guess I'm just not used to it.