Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Differences between all the tuners (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/differences-between-all-the-tuners-37084.html)

Sqall12001 02-11-2012 12:43 AM

Differences between all the tuners

With all the tuners out there what are the benefits to the different tuning computers out there. And more importantly can flyin ryan do custom tunes for any of them? :D

-Nick

Scottina06 02-11-2012 09:21 AM

Re: Differences between all the tuners

Superchips and Diablo both have canned tunes...but the superchips have canned tcm tunes as well. The Superchips have mileage, towing, 87, 89, 91 and so forth. The only advantage of the Diablo is custom tunes...and thats huge as you add mods etc.

Verminator 02-11-2012 01:45 PM

Diablo has canned TCM tunes also, but they're nothing special.

Ryan did a PCM/TCM tune for me recently and it was a very pleasant experience working with him. I'm also pleased with the results so far. However, I do believe it may be a little more difficult to get a tune from him as of late. I'll let him break the news though if he hasn't.

dferr17 03-03-2012 07:28 PM

Waiting for my SC to get here on monday. Anyone know if there is a noticible performance in the 87 tune? even if its a slight one

05ltdhemi 03-10-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 571659)
Superchips and Diablo both have canned tunes...but the superchips have canned tcm tunes as well. The Superchips have mileage, towing, 87, 89, 91 and so forth. The only advantage of the Diablo is custom tunes...and thats huge as you add mods etc.

Which superchips has the mileage towing and all that?

And being new in the jeep world, what does pcm tcm all that ish stand for!?

mosier 03-10-2012 12:55 PM

You would need to look at the Superchips Flaspaq 3875 I belive. PCM stands for Powertrain Control Module. TCM stands for Transmission Control Module. Superchips also offers the Vivid for Grand Cherokees as well. There is also an upgrade for the Superchips so you can write your own transmission shift schedules. The Diablo Predator is the tuner that allows custom tuning via CMR, but as far as I know, they only support the Hemi as of right now. Hypertech also has a canned tuner, number 52001 or 52002 I belive. It offers very similar power to the Superchips flashpaq, but does not tune the TCM. Interestingly, I just called Hypertech yesterday to ask about this tuner for the 4.7Gen 2, and the Tech told me that the reason they do not offer trans tuning is that they found the 545rfe could be very finicky to line pressure changes, torque converter lock-up schedules, and the various clutche lock-up and disengage times. They felt the risk was to high to mass market there tuner with trans tuning for fear some would burn up, while others would not, but there was no way to really tell what exactly the percentage would be. I don't know what Superchips has discovered to make trans tuning safe from them, but the two companys seem to have different philosphys on tuning Chrysler vechiles that have the 545rfe in them. Hypertech also said they saw no real difference in mild Torque Management reduction as far as how fast the vehicle acclererates, but there was a noticeable difference when turned completely off, but again they said they did not want the average person with a factory warranty to buy their product, set everything on max power with no Torque Managment and hard shift schedules, then start buring up the 545rfe only to be denined warranty coverage by Chrysler and then have said custumer sueing them for the damages. You really should call Superchips, Hypertech, and Diablo each and ask about your specifc drivtrain and what you want to see and what they say about there product. Yes, most likley they all are going to tell you it's the greatest thing ever and better than the "other guys", but at least you will get some insite on each ones philosophys reguarding how and why they tune. I still am trying to decide for myself which one to get.

FlyinRyan 03-12-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sqall12001 (Post 571563)
With all the tuners out there what are the benefits to the different tuning computers out there. And more importantly can flyin ryan do custom tunes for any of them? :D

-Nick

Hi Nick,

Would be helpful to know first what vehicle/engine you have. Previous posts indicated you bought a '04 4.7 WJ. Assuming that's the vehicle in question, this thread is actually in the wrong section. I only point this out because depending on year/engine the answers to your question(s) are different.

Regarding custom tuning...yes, I can write custom tunes using SCT. This will work on all WJs and most '05-06 3.7/4.7/5.7 WKs. It's not the best as far as capabilities are concerned, but if you have a 3.7 or 4.7 it is the only game in town if you want a custom tune tailored to your truck, instead of a canned tune designed around a stock truck or stock w/ CAI like SC or Hypertech, etc is. Not that that makes them inferior, not at all, but my point is that it is best to decide what you intend to do with the vehicle in terms of modifications, and then pick the tuner that best suits your purpose.

If you have a 5.7 then Diablo w/ CMR tune is the best way to go, otherwise Superchips has a really nice canned calibration, their trans programming is pretty slick.

snoblade80 03-12-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosier (Post 590708)
... I just called Hypertech yesterday to ask about this tuner for the 4.7Gen 2, and the Tech told me that the reason they do not offer trans tuning is that they found the 545rfe could be very finicky to line pressure changes, torque converter lock-up schedules, and the various clutche lock-up and disengage times.

Are you referring to '08+ 4.7? I ask because i have a SC on the way and this is the first I have heard of anything bad. This is my DD so I might want to call SC now....

mosier 03-12-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoblade80 (Post 592176)
Are you referring to '08+ 4.7? I ask because i have a SC on the way and this is the first I have heard of anything bad. This is my DD so I might want to call SC now....

Yes, that is the engine I have and what I am looking at a tuner for. This is not to say that the Super Chips Trans tuning is bad by any means, as I have not heard anything like that personally. I have no idea how or what they are doing for their 545rfe trans tuning, but I have not heard any thing bad about it. The Hypertech response to me was that they felt they could not offer any real performance gain with the trans tuning the way they would like to in their opinion while not taking a risk on the 545rfe. This does not mean the Super Chips has has not found a happy medium, or that they in fact maybe just know more about this particular transmission and how to get the most out of it safely. All it means is that Hypertech found the best performance for them was with Torque Management eliminated and the shifting frimed up to a point that they just did not want to take a risk. Seems to me I have seen on this board more people with a Super Chips than anything else, maybe Diablo is right up there,but I have yet to run across some one who bought and posted about the HyperTech. Tuning for this vehicle is all new to me, so I am still trying to gather as much info as I can. FlyinRyan is real knowledgeable in this area on this vehicle,and has great feedback on his tunes. The issue for the 4.7 Gen 2 really would be easy if Diablo would support it through the U7137(?) programmer that is listed for the same engine/trans combo in the Ram trucks that they do say they support. That way, you can get a fully programmble tuner that can grow with you if you do more serious modifications to it in the future by having it Dyno Tuned via the CMR tuneing the Diablo offers.