Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   EGR notch on SRT8 manifolds (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/egr-notch-on-srt8-manifolds-37205.html)

DannyVtCa 02-13-2012 08:24 AM

EGR notch on SRT8 manifolds

Viking757 successfully mounted SRT8 exhaust manifolds to his 5.7 hemi without throwing a code. He discussed making a notch, but sadly his picture of that notch has been removed. I was wondering if anyone had a picture of a successful notch?

I am not having too much luck finding used SRT8 exhaust manifolds, but have found new ones on the wholesale mopar site for $473 apiece. Before I pull the trigger on them I'd like to see what exactly this notch looks like and see if I can find a exhaust shop to make one without destroying the manifold.

Chaoul1 02-13-2012 09:09 AM

Re: EGR notch on SRT8 manifolds

That notch is for the EGR Valve.

DannyVtCa 02-13-2012 03:28 PM

I know its for the EGR, but I'd just like to see a picture before i order them because the exhaust shops around here aren't that creative or skilled.... so I'd like to tell them exactly what is needed and show them a picture to see if they can do it without screwing it up.

Tudds 02-13-2012 06:48 PM

Why would you spend 1000 dollars on something you can buy for less than 100 used?

jeepgcoman 02-13-2012 08:26 PM

Something like a die grinder is used to make the notch. It's a straight cut that connects the No. 2 exhaust port to the EGR port in the head. The grinding is done on the header flange.

DannyVtCa 02-13-2012 08:34 PM

been looking for awhile now, doesn't seem like too many come up for sale

DannyVtCa 02-13-2012 08:35 PM

It's pathetic how the stock manifold only cost like $97 dollars apiece, they sure are cheap

dmsfun 02-13-2012 09:13 PM

I thought about doing this, and located a used set online from a JY for $200 for both. They are probably still available as that was about a month ago, but after looking at how much labor is involved to swap them out, decided it is not worth the effort and the backache. Sorry, didnt keep the link, so try googling, and you may find them or another set. They are hard to come by, as the Jeep SRT mani's are a popular upgrade swap for the SRT cars.

DannyVtCa 02-14-2012 08:54 AM

I've personally done all the maintaining of the vehicle and if I ever get these manifolds I'm going to pull my Jeep into the barn tear it apart for a week, and drive the the cummins. I'll do a detailed summary with pictures. I have bilsteins coming and thought it would be a good time to do the struts with the manifolds. It looks tight under the hood, but probably half the battle is getting all the wires and crap cleared away to access the manifolds. My biggest fear is stripping one of the bolts , they must really be stuck in there after six years.

No need to trade it in, just make it better with aftermarket parts and drive for another six years.

1fst4dr 02-14-2012 09:07 AM

I have a few sets of 6.1 manifolds from the cars. Not sure if they are the same or not.

viking757 02-17-2012 01:34 PM

You need JEEP SRT8 take offs, the ones from the LX platforms wont work. Use a 5.7 manifold gasket as a template and make a notch going from the exhaust port on the header flange about a 3/4" long, 1/8"-3/16"" wide to the center of where you marked where the EGR port is.

Looking back on it I would just delete the EGR with tuning(The SRT headers will act as a block off if you don't cut the notch). It will save yourself the trouble in the long run in case you want to run an SRT intake Mani or a 08+ intake manifold.

This will give you an idea of what it should look like(I made a slightly deeper groove than this picture)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...7/IMG_9184.jpg

DannyVtCa 02-17-2012 04:28 PM

thanks, that picture is great... found a used set and should get them soon