Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Summit - too much chrome?

17K views 99 replies 59 participants last post by  BobsWK2 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had my Overland Summit since November and when I first laid eyes on it I loved it. I liked the chrome touches that it had. Now that 4 months have passed I'm starting to think that maybe it's too much chrome. In a lot of ways I felt as though I was driving a rappers bling car. All that I felt was missing were the spinner wheels. I've already started thinking of ways of reducing the amount of chrome in the car as the years progress and chrome becomes blase'.

Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

#7 ·
I'm with you. The amount of Chrome on the summit is perfect. Actually, my dealer has a few 12' Summit's with tow hooks. ( I called and asked about adding them)

If it's too much chrome for you, just trade someone who has an overland grille.

#29 ·
I agree, I think color matched mirrors look much more elegant. I figured the Overland’s would get color matched and the Laredo’s would be chrome...I’m surprised Jeep gave the Overland chrome mirrors. The one bonus being if you break them, its typically cheaper and easier to get chrome aftermarket.

#10 ·
I think it depends on the paint color. To me it looks a little to bling with certain colors. With the Minteral Grey it downplays the chrome and blends nicely..

#13 ·
The less chrome, the better.

#17 ·
I guess I'm one of the few that likes the amount of Chrome on my Overland.
However when I put Tow hooks on in the summer, they will be the standard ones, not the chrome.

Yeah, I'm kind of disapointed in the chrome strip on the back hatch.
I've only had my Jeep since beginning of December (2011) and already the chrome strip is corroding like crazy. :(

I had the chrome emblems on my Dodge Grand Caravan replaced twice under warranty. The 19" Chrome wheels on my Pacifica were replaced twice under warranty.
The second time, they said no more. The only solution was not to use them in the winter. So I bought winter wheels.

#19 ·
I think that on the Mineral Gray, the chrome looks amazing. It's why I bought the Overland Summit. Its such a beautiful car. I think the chrome on the Bright Silver also looks quite nice. The chrome grill insert REALLY makes the Jeep look amazing. It really should be part of every JGC.

#22 ·
I'm going to have to agree. Silver and Mineral Gray do look ok with chrome. But I would still lean towards color matching.

#23 ·
I agree that they have the perfect amount of chrome. I like it! I also think the chrome accents do look good on mineral grey, silver and.....stone white!.....;)

#30 ·
Chrome inside good.

Chrome outside bad.

#31 · (Edited)
I have a Brilliant Black Overland.

I'm going to wait for the parts for the new concept Grand Cherokee to be available, and then get in this priority order:

1. Brilliant Black Liftgate Light Bar

2. Brilliant Black Mirror covers

I might stop there, but if not:

3. Remove Chrome from side of doors.

If I get this far, I might then stop.

4. Brilliant Black door handles.

Now, I'm definitely done, or not...

5. Brilliant Black Grill (with black mesh Overland insert)

Now I'm done.

Seriously though, I don't want to regret removing chrome that I might like better than the corresponding painted part. I guess I'll probably just do the 1st step (and probably 2nd step too) from above list and see what I think of it.

#32 ·
Was at the dealer today and there was a black JGC SRT8. With all the black grille, black door handels, black mirrors, no chrome door trims ....was amazing! The only chrome was the JEEP logo, the trim arround the windows and back door trim. Wish the back door chrome trim was also black......

#35 · (Edited)
This thread makes you realize the that other person always thinks the grass is always greener on the other side.

I am glad we can all find things to change on our cars so we can put our own personal touch to them.

The Members that bought cars with chrome want to take it off and mute the bling.

The members that bought cars without chrome want to add a little sparkle.

I had a fender bender a couple weeks after I got my laredo which resulted in the grille and front bumper facsia having to be replaced.

I had decided that I was going to upgrade my grille to a Overland summit grille but the more I looked at the grille, the chrome mesh did not offer enough contrast for me.

The Overland grille rounded out the front by matching the mesh in the lower bumper.

For me personally I like the chrome accents on the Summit except for two things.

• The Chrome mesh
  • The chrome brow on the liftgate.

#37 ·
It depends on your personal preference. Personally, I think the Summits look great. I think THE best looking WK2 is the Overland Summit in Mineral Grey. Thats what I would buy if I were buying one for my daily driver. My neighbor just traded his '11 red Limited in on a '12 Summit in Mineral Grey and it is *awesome*.

But...my wife doesn't care for the chrome, and thats one of the reasons we have the Laredo X.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.