Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Cam Swap Writeups? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/cam-swap-writeups-37230.html)

JeepTing 02-13-2012 05:30 PM

Cam Swap Writeups?

I'm going to be doing a cam swap very soon on my '05 4.7. I have only done a cam swap on my old 2000 SS. I imagine it'll be quite a bit different and wondering if there was any writeups somewhere that I could follow? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

jeepgcoman 02-14-2012 07:41 PM

Re: Cam Swap Writeups?

I did a cam swap on my 5.7 WK and am currently in the process (about 75% done) of doing the same on my 5.7 LX. Don't know how your side (valve cover to fenderwell) clearances are with the 4.7, but on the 5.7 the passenger side is quite tight. Here are a few areas of grief on the 5.7 WK. My guess is the 4.7 has a little more clearance, but you will still encounter some of these issues.
--Passenger side valve cover rear, bottom screw difficult to remove.
--Removal of the radiator, trans. cooler, a/c condenser was, by far, the biggest hassle.
--On the 5.7 (heads on), changing the No. 8 exhaust valve spring and valve seal was fairly difficult. Probably wouldn't be a problem because of side by side valves on 4.7.
This puppy took me almost 4 hours on the LX, but less than half that on the WK.
--Working around the front axle and front of pan (5 bolts go into timing cover) were a slight annoyance. Same with accessing A/C compressor mount bolts.
--Moving the electrical modules on the driver's side are touchy. Be sure to try not to disturb elecrical harnesses/modules as much as possible. They're kind of in the way, but you can still work around them by taking your time. I moved mine slightly, because I was installing 6.1 valve springs, pushrods and new valve seals. If you're not changing the springs as part of your kit, it should be cake on the 4.7.
--The front of the engine (timing cover, chain/gears, tensioner are fairly easy and straight forward, probably on the 4.7 too. Depending on which cam you get, inquire about throwing a little advance on it. I advanced the WK 2* and I am going to try the LX at 6*. I am after as much low end hp/torque as possible, since ~97% of my driving is below 3000 RPM. Most aftermarket cams are designed for mid/top end and normally suffer somewhat on the low end.
--As a side note, if you're doing the cam, to get the maximum out of it, you should have some headers built, and have a low restriction intake and exhaust. I estimate on mine to be: headers/exhaust 30-40 hp. and cam/6.1 valvetrain ~40-50 hp. Also, don't go too wild on the cam, as it will sound great, but make driveability miserable. Check with the cam manufacturer for their recommendations.

Good luck on your endeavor. Let us know how it works out.

ws6kid. 09-21-2012 10:19 PM

Re: Cam Swap Writeups?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 574058)
I did a cam swap on my 5.7 WK and am currently in the process (about 75% done) of doing the same on my 5.7 LX. Don't know how your side (valve cover to fenderwell) clearances are with the 4.7, but on the 5.7 the passenger side is quite tight. Here are a few areas of grief on the 5.7 WK. My guess is the 4.7 has a little more clearance, but you will still encounter some of these issues.
--Passenger side valve cover rear, bottom screw difficult to remove.
--Removal of the radiator, trans. cooler, a/c condenser was, by far, the biggest hassle.
--On the 5.7 (heads on), changing the No. 8 exhaust valve spring and valve seal was fairly difficult. Probably wouldn't be a problem because of side by side valves on 4.7.
This puppy took me almost 4 hours on the LX, but less than half that on the WK.
--Working around the front axle and front of pan (5 bolts go into timing cover) were a slight annoyance. Same with accessing A/C compressor mount bolts.
--Moving the electrical modules on the driver's side are touchy. Be sure to try not to disturb elecrical harnesses/modules as much as possible. They're kind of in the way, but you can still work around them by taking your time. I moved mine slightly, because I was installing 6.1 valve springs, pushrods and new valve seals. If you're not changing the springs as part of your kit, it should be cake on the 4.7.
--The front of the engine (timing cover, chain/gears, tensioner are fairly easy and straight forward, probably on the 4.7 too. Depending on which cam you get, inquire about throwing a little advance on it. I advanced the WK 2* and I am going to try the LX at 6*. I am after as much low end hp/torque as possible, since ~97% of my driving is below 3000 RPM. Most aftermarket cams are designed for mid/top end and normally suffer somewhat on the low end.
--As a side note, if you're doing the cam, to get the maximum out of it, you should have some headers built, and have a low restriction intake and exhaust. I estimate on mine to be: headers/exhaust 30-40 hp. and cam/6.1 valvetrain ~40-50 hp. Also, don't go too wild on the cam, as it will sound great, but make driveability miserable. Check with the cam manufacturer for their recommendations.

Good luck on your endeavor. Let us know how it works out.

good info thanks!