Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Tire Pressure for the winter! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/tire-pressure-for-the-winter-3726.html)

5.7Unlimited 10-31-2009 01:39 PM

Tire Pressure for the winter!

Hey everyone, do any of you adjust your air pressue for the winter? today I drove to work and its snowy here and -4 C the roads are kind of icy and my tires are just HORRIBLE in the stuff. the ABS kicks in like nobodys business and im sliding all over the place. Im running 33psi cold which goes to 35/36 on the highway, should I change it to say 30PSI which would go to maybe 32/33 or not bother? it turns out the silent armors are good for everything except ice I might as well take the tires off anfd drive on the rims there would be more traction on ice :lol:

Robert Palmer 10-31-2009 02:22 PM

Re: Tire Pressure for the winter!

I leave them the stock pressure but then again I dont have serious winters. LOLOLOL

Joe in PA 10-31-2009 03:18 PM

Unless you are willing to go with studded tires or a set of chains, there isn't a tire made that is going to do well on ice. I run my tires at the pressure on the label found on the driver's door 24/7/365 while on the road. Don't really see where dropping to 30psi is going to make any improvement on ice.

5.7Unlimited 10-31-2009 06:28 PM

Damn ice, I guess really my best bet is to go with some special ice tire and put some noisy studs in them

robpp 10-31-2009 08:05 PM

try having them siped. disount tire does it. i imagine others.

they add more slits to the tread. it really helps with the ICE.

eddiefig 10-31-2009 09:26 PM

Ice is ice. I doubt psi will matter.

Hammerhead 11-05-2009 09:49 AM

Do you have the Goodyear Wrangler silent armor tires? I'm thinking about buying a set to replace the original tires.

I don't see how lowering PSI would help. It might actually decrease traction since narrow tires generally have better snow traction because you can't float on top of snow like you can with sand.

iggymonster42 12-14-2009 06:29 PM

Im on my second set of silent armors and i love em. they do great on snow and ice. i will say that i do turn the traction control completely off if its real slippery cause i hate it when you start to slide and the computer tries to take over. but maybe Im crazy. lol

05quadratrac 12-15-2009 12:05 AM

I run 40psi all year but it doesn't snow as much here and I dont think any tire pressure will help on ice but higher pressure will put more weight in a smaller area so it might help break through ice and snow and get down to the asphalt? I know guys on sand use the opposite logic to distribute the load over a bigger area and stay above it. Im making this up as I go but it sounds logical haha.

Escape 12-15-2009 12:20 AM

Buy these and you will be all set for winter!

Bridgestone Blizzak

Vastier 12-15-2009 10:31 AM

Best pressure for ice is the stock pressure. More pressure and you'll loose that contact patch on the sides. Less and you're loosing weight on the center of your contact patch with more on the edges. Less pressure will only help you in snow to a point.

Hemi WK 12-15-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 117005)
Buy these and you will be all set for winter!

Bridgestone Blizzak

x2

Blizzaks are the best snow/winter/ice tires. Just don't run them in warm weather.