Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   04 Grand Cherokee Limited Not starting? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/04-grand-cherokee-limited-not-starting-37288.html)

amcclain0890 02-14-2012 01:16 PM

04 Grand Cherokee Limited Not starting?

Hi this is my first thread. Im a busy college student so the faster I can figure out what is wrong with my precious jeep, the faster I can get back on the roads (and off) :D

Ok so My jeep will not start. I was at the gas station and the gauges went all crazy when i put my key in. Then when it did crank the rpm's shot up to 3 or 4 or 5 one time and it stays there. I freaked out so I turned it off. We towed it back to my house. It will turn over, but no crank. I bought a new battery bc i needed a new one anyway. Still nothing. On my dash it says no key?? and no gas, even though i have a good 1/4 tank, and check engine light is on as well. Radio and everything else works, my poor baby just wont start. Im a 20 yr old woman, very very busy. Fast response would be good. Thanks ;)

Scottina06 02-14-2012 03:38 PM

Re: 04 Grand Cherokee Limited Not starting?

we need the codes associated with the check engine light

Frango100 02-14-2012 08:06 PM

Welcome to the garage, unfortunately already with problems.
This can be a difficult one to tackle. All the strange indications on the instrument panel point towards a PCI data bus problem. You could try the key dance ( ignition switch OFF/ON 3 times and leave it in on at the third time). The odometer should show a fault code (or more then one:D) or DONE when the Powertrain Control Module doesn´t see any fault. But if you have a PCI bus problem, it can be that this test doesn´t work.
You can test your instrument panel by pushing the odometer button with the ignition switch in OFF and while pushing the button, switch the ignition in on. Now release the button and the instrument panel will do a self test. All indicator lights will light up and all indicators will go full scale and back again. Odometer will count 111111, 222222 etc. When this is ok, at least the instrument panel is ok.
Let us know if you find any fault code, so that we can help you out further.
If the fault code test doesn´t work, you probably have to go to a garage where they have a scanner or a place where they know how to troubleshoot PCI data bus problems..
If you want to try something yourself first, i would disconnect the battery negative cable and remove/check/clean/reconnect the PCM connectors and negative battery cable and see if that did anything.

amcclain0890 02-15-2012 11:02 AM

I know one code is just for my 02 sensor, I will have to let you know about the rest, if any... And I will try the key dance. Thanks! ;)