Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Engine running really rough (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/engine-running-really-rough-37327.html)

tkdgirl 02-14-2012 10:44 PM

Engine running really rough

Wanted to make this a separate thread...

My 04 SE recently started running very rough and loud when accelerating to around 40 mph. When I'm at highway speed, and take the foot off the accelerator, it gets loud again and slows down very rough. It almost feels like what its like to drive in 2nd or 1st. Just replaced the TPS a few months ago and had the transmission flushed last Friday. The RPMs seem normal. My as mileage has plummeted. Got a new fuel filter late last summer.

Any ideas?

Just something to throw out, I''ve had issues with a caliper piston seizing. Would a permanently seized piston cause this issue?

01grand 02-14-2012 10:48 PM

Does the vehicle pull to one side at all? If not than I doubt it would be a seized caliper. You would also probably hear a rubbing noise.

Are you sure it's not the tps? Does it shift ok? All fluid levels are ok?

lll2for3lll 02-15-2012 07:01 AM

Re: Engine running really rough

Never ever flush fluids. Only drain and refill. Flushing can cause damage. Just FYI.

Edit: And that's from Chrysler.

tkdgirl 02-15-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 574173)
Does the vehicle pull to one side at all? If not than I doubt it would be a seized caliper. You would also probably hear a rubbing noise.

Are you sure it's not the tps? Does it shift ok? All fluid levels are ok?

It actually does pull to one side (to the drivers side, where there's a noise on my wheel when I do any 3/4 turn both forward and neutral).

It doesn't seem to shift very well under 40mph. But nothing like the craziness when the TPS went bad. It just feels like I'm driving in 2. Fluid levels are all ok- just had an oil change last Friday.

tkdgirl 02-15-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 574278)
Never ever flush fluids. Only drain and refill. Flushing can cause damage. Just FYI.

Edit: And that's from Chrysler.

I probably had my terminology wrong. Of course, I did get the transmission fluid done at a oil change place...

Frango100 02-15-2012 12:20 PM

After driving for a while check with your hand the temperature of each wheel. When a caliper is seized, the temperature will be much higher on the respective wheel.
Is the engine rpm higher then normal, that you think its just in 1st or 2nd gear?
Is the acceleration slower then it was before?

Escape 02-15-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 574420)
After driving for a while check with your hand the temperature of each wheel. When a caliper is seized, the temperature will be much higher on the respective wheel.
Is the engine rpm higher then normal, that you think its just in 1st or 2nd gear?

Just becareful, because if it is seized it will burn the daylights out of you!

Spray it with some windex or spit on it...if it sizzles DO NOT TOUCH.

tkdgirl 02-15-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 574420)

Will do. My jeep buddy is checking it out tonight. He discovered the seized cali when putting on my new rotors/brakes last fall.

The RPMs are normal. It just sounds God awful loud, and I can feel it under my feet on the floor board. You know how you accelerate when you're in 2 or 1? It's just like that. The engine just seems to be working really hard. Yes, the acceleration does seem a bit sluggish.

Amelie 02-15-2012 07:11 PM

For a minute I thought it might have been the Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid.

tkdgirl 02-15-2012 08:14 PM

Crap. It's the CV joint on the front drive shafts. Completely shot. What do I need to buy and how expensive of a repair is this? Also, I have 4 o2 sensors. How did that happen?

tkdgirl 02-15-2012 09:25 PM

FTW! The broken CV joint. I'm now driving a 2 wheel drive Jeep. :)
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/706...5204853130.jpg

Still trying to figure out how I got 4 o2 sensors. I thought they were only on Cali Jeeps? I bought mine brand new in Michigan.

Frango100 02-16-2012 05:19 AM

I changed this joint on my jeep last year. The rubber boot gets dry and cracks, letting the grease go out and roaddirt in. The coupling wears and causes noises. Never heard of that it would let the engine run rough though.
Bought mine at Rockauto.com, around 70 USD when i remember well. Easy to change. Its just one c-clip and with a puller you just pull it off the axle. The new one you just tap in place with the right size of socket on the center part.