Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Protecting Rear Seatbacks when Folded (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/protecting-rear-seatbacks-when-folded-37350.html)

MikeBoom 02-15-2012 09:17 AM

Protecting Rear Seatbacks when Folded

I'm looking for a solution to protect the rear seatbacks when the seats are folded to expand the cargo area (two messy ol' dogs). I currently have a WeatherTech Cargo Liner, but that offers no protection for the backs of the seats when the seats are folded down.

I'm familiar with Canvasback liners and that may end up being the solution. However, if I don't have to spring for a redundant floor cover, saving a few dollars in the process, I'd rather do so. Of course, I could just get a floormat to toss on that part of the cargo area, but that seems so . . . proletarian. :D

Advice?

Justal13 02-15-2012 02:50 PM

Re: Protecting Rear Seatbacks when Folded

Visit U-Haul or one of your local moving supply stores or moving van line (or on-line), and purchase 2 or 3 higher-quality quilted cotton (not the cheap poly fiber) moving blankets. When I fold down the rear seat, I spread one out. A positive is that you can run them through the washing machine and dryer to clean when they get dirty.

Another option is to visit your local Menards, Home Depot, etc and pick up an inexpensive 3' by 4' rubber-backed rug/mat. Our local Menards has them for under $25 in black, dark brown or beige. I did this on a former SUV. Keep it rolled up in the "V" just behind the back seat and roll it out when the seat is down (rubber side down, carpet side up). Rolled up, it does not take up any space behind the seat.

Best luck.

tnjeep 02-15-2012 03:14 PM

Do a search on here and you will find a thread with a guy who bought a custom liner that goes all the way up to the backs of the seats. It is some kind of cloth but looked like it is what you are looking for.

BioCRD 02-15-2012 03:28 PM

The Canvasback liner works for me, it's the only thing I found which extends forward to cover the seat backs. It's well made, not cheap, and fits perfectly. Seems like it will hold up (Labrador Retriever).

I also wrapped/tucked an old flannel sheet around the headrests/tops/sides of the seats when they're folded - it stays in place pretty well, and protects the parts that the Canvasback can't cover.

MikeBoom 02-15-2012 06:09 PM

:worried:Thanks for the suggestions. This is one of the hard parts about trading up from a 16 year old 4Runner to a new Overland...I bought it because of its utilitarian capabilities, but it's just too purty to mess it up. :worried:

Lingohocken 02-15-2012 10:57 PM

Canvasback is the only attractive and handy solution I know of. Ours has worked out great and it wasn't all that costly. The company really stands behind their products, too, as we found out when there was a small manufacturing defect.

WK2 Rover 02-20-2012 10:42 AM

I had a great cover for my '93 Grand Cherokee, but haven't found the equivalent for my 2011 yet. I am not a fan of the canvasback covers, so am using an REI waterproof picnic blanket in the interim.

MikeBoom 03-19-2012 01:23 PM

I'm a Canvasback owner! I'm not sure how it happened; perhaps it was the URL I sent to my wife when she asked what I wanted for my birthday.

Anyway, it arrived last week and I could not be happier. It's clearly a high-quality item and it fits absolutely perfectly. I mean that . . . the fit is spot on! My GC's interior is black, but I opted for graphite, thinking it would be a little less likely to show the inevitable muddy paw prints and dog hair that are a part of my life. For those who are looking at the color options, I'd note that Canvasback's "graphite" is a bit darker than its appearance on their website. It's a dark gray, which complements the black leather interior perfectly.

Knightrider03m 03-19-2012 01:34 PM

I just use a few old bed covers

jtmachen 03-20-2012 04:20 PM

I bought a seat protector at PetSmart for my GC. It's perfect for your situation because you already have the cargo liner. It attaches to the rear headrests and be used to cover the seating surface if you have the seat in it's normal position, or the back of the seats if the are folded down. When you don't need it it will fold it up and put it under the floor panel.

brandont 03-20-2012 05:19 PM

I bought a 4x8 rubber-backed mat from Menards for around $30. It only goes in when the dogs or bikes are in the back. If you wanted to you could cut it to fit with a utility knife. I have done that on other vehicles (took the stock mat out and used that as a template) but with the GC I only use it occasionally so the misfit isn't that big of a deal.

Actually, make that 'bike' as 2 bikes do not fit. Mark that as 1 point for the Honda Pilot. I can still live with it.

drdobsg 04-05-2012 09:42 AM

Does the CanvasBack get secured somehow? What keeps if from moving in the cargo area and falling off the seat backs?