Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Who changes your oil? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/who-changes-your-oil-37351.html)

gokart508 02-15-2012 09:50 AM

Who changes your oil?

Hello all. My oil change light came on the other day (3500 miles) and I'm not sure where to take it to get it changed. I live in a town house, no garage, so changing it myself is not really on option. One problem i have is that i have a CAI. Not sure if i take it to the dealer to change the oil if they will give me a hassle with warranty issues and such. One reason i would like to take it to the dealer is they have a great special, very cheap. Should i just take it to a quick lube type of place? And if i do, how do you re-set the oil indicator? Thanks!

armoredsaint 02-15-2012 09:51 AM

Re: Who changes your oil?

My fiancee when i let her out of the kitchen :lol:

seriously, i do :thumbsup:

ColinIllinois 02-15-2012 10:33 AM

Information on how to reset the oil change light is in your owners manual under the Understanding your instrument panel > EVIC section > Engine Oil Change Indicator System.

gwnewman1 02-15-2012 10:58 AM

I'm in a townhouse as well and no problems changing the oil on my old Jeep or my motorcycle. On this one though, i'll have the dealer do it so I don't mess around with the warranty.

hops23 02-15-2012 11:00 AM

I do. Can't really trust the stealership to do it right.

bmrisko 02-15-2012 11:03 AM

I do, but if that is not an option for you, I'd take it to the dealer as the first 4 changes are supposed to be free. A CAI won't void the factory warranty and neither will changing the oil yourself. Just keep receipts handy.

I don't trust the dealer, but I'd trust them more than a quick-lube place!

gokart508 02-15-2012 11:06 AM

Ignition to on > press gas 3 times in 10 seconds > turn ignition off

Thanks for for info.

Anyone care to chime in on aftermarket parts and getting oil changed at dealer? Thanks.

gokart508 02-15-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 574376)
the first 4 changes are supposed to be free.

I was never offered this? Is that just at your particular dealer?

ShyBoy 02-15-2012 11:13 AM

I would take it to the dealer. The CAI should not void your warranty but it is also subjective based on the service person. However, as you only have 3,500 miles, I would imagine that you would rather know now than later in regards to how the dealership feel about the CAI before you have a situation where you really need warranty related work on your car.

BuckeyeSRT 02-15-2012 11:28 AM

I would not worry about the CIA.

watchdog507 02-15-2012 11:46 AM

I use the dealer. Price is fine and my choice is Mobil 1 Synthetic. There is no waiting and they are done in a few minutes. I can watch from a wait lounge/coffee shop facing the pit. As for the CAI the oil change guys don't know and don't care.

armoredsaint 02-15-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gokart508 (Post 574381)
I was never offered this? Is that just at your particular dealer?

from what i understand, it was a limited offer - not true today.