Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Driveline vibration (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/driveline-vibration-37362.html)

oljustice 02-15-2012 01:43 PM

Driveline vibration

I've had a strange vibration in my driveline ever since the dealer performed a driveline service on my 05 WK (QDII, 5.7L). They flushed/changed my front diff/tc/rear diff fluids. The vibration occurs during acceleration (straight line or turning) and is feels like a grinding although it isn't always present. It's definitely more noticeable once the car warms up. Again, it's completely intermittent and doesn't always happen. It definitely becomes louder as I go faster. When it happens I hear it whether I'm at highway speeds or cruising on local streets below 30. I'd say it's present 75% of the time. It's not like an incredibly rough one, it's subtle and you have to feel for it but its definitely there. I hear it and feel it through the pedal. I also get a weird rubbing sound when braking from low speeds.

Before everyone says to go back to the dealer, I should say that I have been back... 4 TIMES. The first time I was getting a HORRENDOUS sounding grinding noise whenever turning. That turned out to be low front diff fluid/additive. NOW I have this strange vibration. I put some new wheels/tires (black SRT reps) on the car and the dealer is trying to blame it on that even though these issues have been going on for almost a month now and I just put the tires on a week ago. At this point I simply don't trust the dealer anymore and want to figure it out myself. Clearly they dont know what the f**k they're doing if they couldn't do the front diff correctly... who knows what they could've done wrong?

My first guess is Transfer Case. That isn't an educated opinion but rather just from reading similar issues on these great forums ;). What could it be? Wrong fluid in QDII tcase? low fluid? low rear diff fluid? could it be whatever they run through the components when they do a so-called 'flush'? I heard that there's some sort of harmonic balancer/vibration dampener connected to the tcase. Does anyone have pictures of that? Could it be that they never reattached it?

Whatever it is... it DEFINITELY started as SOON as they performed the driveline service so I'm almost 100% that it has something to do with what they did...

HELP!!!

lll2for3lll 02-15-2012 01:51 PM

Re: Driveline vibration

Do you get a few ticking sounds from underneath when you apply torque to the driveline by accelerating from stop?

oljustice 02-15-2012 03:19 PM

No, I don't think I've ever heard that but I will roll the windows up and floor it when I get home to see if I hear anything. But from my recollection, no.

lll2for3lll 02-15-2012 03:31 PM

Oh ok. My problem is bad joints on my driveline. You issue sounds like something different.

oljustice 02-15-2012 03:46 PM

That could be a possibility but I doubt it. The important fact about my situation is that this all started AFTER a so called 'routine' driveline maintenance done at the dealer.

lll2for3lll 02-15-2012 03:58 PM

So did mine. No ticks until right after a service.

oljustice 02-15-2012 07:29 PM

Wtf are these dealers doing to these vehicles during service?!

lll2for3lll 02-16-2012 07:18 AM

I had a grommet seal replaced. When the tech disconnected the driveline and put it back after service, that's when my joints went bad.

I'm just going to see about having a custom driveline built. One with serviceable joints because the stocker has the joints punched in. Not serviceable. Dumb. Stupid. Crazy.

oljustice 02-16-2012 10:57 AM

Driveline vibration really has me worried that something is broken or in danger of being broken. Anyone?

dmsfun 02-16-2012 11:08 AM

I would take it a step further and contact the dealer rep. since your dealer is not taking responsiblity for the issue. Obviously they caused this problem since it started right after they serviced it. It also drives me crazy when service managers try to blame the issue on other sources, when they screwed it up. THat happened to me twice and I raised my voice very loud in front of all customers there, which actually did work. Who knows, maybe they usd the wrong fluid, or did not add the friction modifier, and now there is mechanical damage done to internals.

lll2for3lll 02-16-2012 11:25 AM

We have Jeep customer service to contact. They can open up a case. You get a representative and everything.

1-877-IAM-JEEP

oljustice 02-16-2012 11:41 AM

I actually called Chrysler and have a case open already with them. I'm not sure if that's the same as the Jeep customer service.