Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Groaning Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/groaning-brakes-37410.html)

Ypahihi 02-16-2012 08:29 AM

Groaning Brakes

For some time now the brakes moan sometimes when I depress the brake pedal. It does sounds like there is a leak and it vibrates on the pedal. However, it is intermittent in nature and my brakes are not spongy and I have not experienced any fluid loss. Also I have replace the fronts with new Akebonos, rotors and pads. And will replace the rears as soon as the goods turn up. I am aware that there is an adjuster on the pedal and hoping if someone could point me in the right directions so that I can complete the necessary repairs?

Frango100 02-16-2012 08:56 AM

Re: Groaning Brakes

When you feel a vibration or pulsation in the brake pedal, or your discs are warped, or it is just the ABS which releases the brakes (rapid pulsation) to prevent skidding of the wheel. Do you only feel it when braking hard, or also when braking lightly?

tkdgirl 02-16-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 575004)
When you feel a vibration or pulsation in the brake pedal, or your discs are warped, or it is just the ABS which releases the brakes (rapid pulsation) to prevent skidding of the wheel. Do you only feel it when braking hard, or also when braking lightly?

To add, possible seized caliber?

*BabyGirlJJ* 02-16-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkdgirl (Post 575147)
To add, possible seized caliber?

Good suggestion - I have had a seized caliper and it makes your rotors heat up to the point of melting plastic and other things!!! UGH! Had to learn this the hard way of getting out of my Jeep to see smoke then a fire red caliper.... NOT good to see or smell!! :eek:

TJXJWJ 02-16-2012 01:21 PM

Pulsation while the brake is applied is usually a warped rotor issue...

Ypahihi 02-17-2012 03:44 AM

Need to rephrase what I said earlier, in that the the groan / leak vibrates and accentuates the noise. I have had warped discs and that is why I changed all the front gear. It is not the same vibration as before.

I was kind of thinking it might be something in the adjustment set up or possibly the master cylinder. However, the master cylinder looks relatively new so unless there is something inside the cylinder that is allowing fluid past it then I am at a loss to what it could be?

Just to add insult to my past tinkering I just tried to take off the rear passengers wheel only to find I have over tightened a nut and have bent it to a point where it is rounding off the nut. Took it up to the local tyre shop and they couldn't do anything but advised that I could try to hammer on a 18mm socket to see if that would work to undo the nut.

It didn't and I have completely rounded off the nut.

Any ideas anybody........:eek:

Frango100 02-17-2012 06:47 AM

When you say it sounds as a leak, what kind of sound does it make? As a fluid which is passing around, or more a vacuum leak sound? The brake booster uses vacuum to aument the braking force, but it is strange that the noise is not always there when braking.

Ypahihi 02-17-2012 10:50 AM

Which is why I have ignored it to this point.

It sounds like stepping on bag pipes, just that initial noise.
And other times like standing on a wet sponge. I tried pumping the brakes hard this afternoon and it sounded more like the wet sponge.

I've swapped out the rear right caliper and was trying to get off the right rear when I rounded out the wheel nut.

Frango100 02-17-2012 01:52 PM

So do you know where the noise comes from? In the cabin, or under the hood? Let someone push the brake pedal and have a look under the hood if you can hear/see more. But to me this looks as a problem with the brake booster.
And if it sounds like bagpipes, you can maybe make some music while braking:lol:.