Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Trailer hitch (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/trailer-hitch-37444.html)

Metz1374 02-16-2012 07:23 PM

Trailer hitch

Can anyone help me out. I want to add a trailer hitch to my Laredo x package. I need it just for a bike rack, and extremely light and infrequent trailering. I'm just curious what part I would need, and if anyone could tell me if it's premiered for a quick connect trailer connection or if I'd have to wire the whole thing

rosado057 02-16-2012 07:30 PM

You would have to get it wired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rosado057 02-16-2012 07:36 PM

Just a chance look underneath near the rear it might be wired already. My jeep was pre-wired but I have no hitch either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluehighways 02-16-2012 10:45 PM

Re: Trailer hitch

You do not need to install or modify any wiring to install a hitch.

If you actually need to tow something, at some future date, then at that time you will need to address the wiring.

I've done exactly what you're asking about on several vehicles over the years, so that I can use a hitch mount bike rack. NO WIRING REQUIRED!

Justal13 02-16-2012 10:51 PM

The wiring is there from the factory, but it must be programmed by the dealer to work using a Chrysler Starscan tool. Your dealer should be able to install an OEM hitch complete with the wiring for a reasonable price and it will look factory including the bumper cut-out. Best luck.

Metz1374 02-18-2012 12:19 AM

Thanks I appreciate the help. Anyone have any type of estivmate on a dealer price? I can call, I'm just curious what others may have paid cause we all know they switch around their prices

Big Green 02-20-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metz1374 (Post 576229)
Thanks I appreciate the help. Anyone have any type of estivmate on a dealer price? I can call, I'm just curious what others may have paid cause we all know they switch around their prices

325 at mine, not including wiring or adapter (wiring was in there, purchased adapter separately)

DeLove 02-23-2012 09:02 AM

I had the dealer install the OEM hitch for $325, hitch only, no wiring. But, there is now a large opening next to the hitch receiver which clearly is the spot for the wiring piece. I do not need the wiring, but would like to cover the hole. Does anyone know if I could simply get the adapter that fits in that opening and insert it for cheap without hooking up the wiring? Thanks.

Big Green 02-23-2012 02:48 PM

Yes, it's the only part I had to buy. $45 at Jeep dealership. It literally plugs in. You might be pre-wired, look under there and you might find a harness.

DeLove 02-23-2012 04:41 PM

Thanks. I called my dealer and they weren't sure of the part, so I need to stop in there. By any chance do you know if it's the piece that is included with the Trailer Tow Wire Harness Repair Kit?

BassMiesterNJ 04-12-2012 08:59 PM

For those that were "pre-wired", where exactly was the pre-wire hanging ?

Can someone post a pic ?

Justal13 04-13-2012 08:40 PM

Drivers side tucked up and tie-wrapped. There are several pictures if you search the forums.