Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Radio/Navigation Display shutting off... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/radio-navigation-display-shutting-off-37459.html)

JDubz 02-17-2012 12:05 AM

Radio/Navigation Display shutting off...

So I have noticed lately that my navigation display randomly shuts off... It would shut off for about 10 minutes or so and would come back on. While it was off some of the buttons would not work. I didn't think much of this but from what I have been reading the only fix for this is to repair/replace which seems really expensive ($2100 for the unit from factorymoparparts.com) Can anyone confirm that there is no cheaper fix for this?

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-18-2012 11:27 PM

Re: Radio/Navigation Display shutting off...

sounds like ti is overheating. i dont know if it can be fixed, but you can buy a new rec for like $400 on ebay. i would suggest a mygig or aftermarket replacement because the rec sucks

JDubz 02-19-2012 10:32 AM

Do they make aftermarket ones that will still allow me to use the controls on the steering wheel?

JDubz 02-20-2012 08:16 PM

Well it looks like my rec unit is toast and I will need to replace it. Fortunately the dealer I bought it from is going to help me out. They are going to replace the broken one with a refurbed rec unit from Chrysler. Since I just bought my Jeep from them two weeks ago, they will split the bill with me. All in all, this will cost me about $500. I know the mygig would have been awesome but this seemed like my best option for the price. Hopefully it works out for me.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-20-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDubz (Post 578041)
Well it looks like my rec unit is toast and I will need to replace it. Fortunately the dealer I bought it from is going to help me out. They are going to replace the broken one with a refurbed rec unit from Chrysler. Since I just bought my Jeep from them two weeks ago, they will split the bill with me. All in all, this will cost me about $500. I know the mygig would have been awesome but this seemed like my best option for the price. Hopefully it works out for me.

thats is a terrible deal........ the rec sucks and you can get one on ebay for less than that. no way i would pay $500 for one.

JDubz 02-20-2012 10:10 PM

I looked and I couldn't find any at that pricepoint.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-20-2012 10:24 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2006-20...244170&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-07-Dodge-...2ddd60&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2006-20...05864b&vxp=mtr

2005JGC 02-21-2012 01:55 AM

You big goof Matt... were you trying to prove a point with that lol? copying links to used as-is radios pulled from god knows what (mangled wrecked vehicles?) priced at or above what he is paying for a fresh reman unit that will be "like new" no visual wear (unlike most of what was linked) and it will have a parts warranty (again unlike the used units linked to).

Yes the REC is a dinosaur, and I feel mine is on its way out and will likely not be replaced with another for the price, ill probably end up with an aftermarket double din unit when the time comes. But for what he is getting the value is there, 500 is not a terrible price to pay all considered. Not to mention (again back to my personal preference) I REALLY appreciate factory function (taking the good with the bad) and fit, I despise filler panels and glossy radios on my flat interior trim, having the steering wheel switch function... so again, for myself maintaining the factory appearance and function is worth at least a couple hundred in my book. Also I have the rear seat dvd and have not even looked into integrating that into an aftermarket head unit (unlikely I would imagine) so that further insults my interior.

I would say that is a decent buy, sucky it happened, but don't beat yourself up over Matt's suggestion ;)

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-21-2012 11:57 AM

i bought mine on ebay with a full 2 year warranty through squaretrade for like $300 i had it for a few years before upgrading to a mygig because i got sick of not having a touch screen. it is pretty insane that there is better technology in a $80 tomtom than in a rec navigation. the links i posted were the result of a 10 second search on ebay.......

JDubz 02-21-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 578228)
You big goof Matt... were you trying to prove a point with that lol? copying links to used as-is radios pulled from god knows what (mangled wrecked vehicles?) priced at or above what he is paying for a fresh reman unit that will be "like new" no visual wear (unlike most of what was linked) and it will have a parts warranty (again unlike the used units linked to).

Yes the REC is a dinosaur, and I feel mine is on its way out and will likely not be replaced with another for the price, ill probably end up with an aftermarket double din unit when the time comes. But for what he is getting the value is there, 500 is not a terrible price to pay all considered. Not to mention (again back to my personal preference) I REALLY appreciate factory function (taking the good with the bad) and fit, I despise filler panels and glossy radios on my flat interior trim, having the steering wheel switch function... so again, for myself maintaining the factory appearance and function is worth at least a couple hundred in my book. Also I have the rear seat dvd and have not even looked into integrating that into an aftermarket head unit (unlikely I would imagine) so that further insults my interior.I would say that is a decent buy, sucky it happened, but don't beat yourself up over Matt's suggestion ;)

Thank you. I was really second guessing myself about having them do it. I too have the rear DVD and was not sure how an aftermarket would work with it. I know nothing about car audio so anything I would have to do would have to be done by someone that knows what they're doing. The warranty that this one has also gives me some peace of mind. I know that the mygig blows the rec out of the water and if and when this rec dies that will be what I will put in next.