Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   accident report on a Jeep GC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/accident-report-on-a-jeep-gc-37464.html)

Bomhauer 02-17-2012 06:55 AM

accident report on a Jeep GC

I am looking to purchasee a 2009 WK with a 4.7 V8. I was looking for a HEMI but was wondering how much of a power difference there will be. I currently own a 03 Dodge Ram with the HEMI so i am use to the gas not lasting to long. The problem is that the 2009 WK was in a accident (according to CarFax) but no frame damage and no airbags were released so it might of been just a fender bender. Would you all let this stop you from purchasing this Jeep GC or not if the price was right?

Thanks in advance,
Bomhauer

99formulam6 02-17-2012 07:25 AM

Re: accident report on a Jeep GC

It is really based on preference and whether you can find signs of major repair. I would ask them for a paint depth gauge and go over the panels and see which ones have been repainted.

As a general rule of thumb, I don't buy cars with accident damage, unless it is a hard to find car that I might not have a chance. I don't put WKs in that catagory, but that doesn't mean you would be wrong for buying a WK with accident damage.

NHWK05 02-17-2012 09:26 AM

Id say wait for a HEMI. I was in a rush to buy mine and i drove both. I did not think i could afford the hemi (17k vs 15k) so i went with the 4.7L (05). I got suckered in to buying an extended warranty and still spent $17k. I could have had the HEMI. I have been kicking myself in the ass ever since. If i had the option again i would ditch my 4.7 in a Heartbeat for a hemi.

Tudds 02-17-2012 09:41 AM

If you Cant tell it was hit and it drives fine, it shouldn't matter.
I would be more concerned about the shitty 4.7.
Wait for a hemi accident or not

swing4terps 02-17-2012 09:45 AM

I thought the GenII 4.7s were viewed favorably?

NHWK05 02-17-2012 09:48 AM

They are but they are still no comparison for a Hemi. I'd take a gen 2 4.7 over my first gen but I'd wait for a hemi before buying another 4.7 gen 1 or 2. There more support and options for the hemi and its a better starting platform as well.

dr.lee.baugh 02-17-2012 10:19 AM

If you are ever planning on trading in the vehicle, I would avoid one that has been in an accident. No matter how minor it may have been a dealership will treat it like it was a total write-off when it comes to assessing it's trade in value...

If you are planning to keep it, I wouldn't avoid a car that has been in an accident - I would, however, recommend taking it to an independent mechanic to have it checked out. Don't mention it was in an accident at all and see if they spot it.

W08K 02-17-2012 11:38 AM

When we were looking for the wifes 08 I made sure the carfax was clean. No nothing on it except maintenance. Same with my 07 we got 3 weeks later.
We have had a few to many vehicles that have had damage that was fixed before we got them. You could always see the area of damage after a few washes and different light angles you see after having the vehicle a few months.
As for the 4.7 I would say hold out for the 5.7 you dont want to take a step backwards in engines. Unless you dont mind having less motor, or if the budget is tight. Good luck with your decision.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-18-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 575755)
No matter how minor it may have been a dealership will treat it like it was a total write-off when it comes to assessing it's trade in value....

usually they only care about accidents in the last three years

Bomhauer 02-19-2012 09:22 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I did take the 09 for a test drive and there was no pulling when I let go of the steering wheel and everything felt tight so I bought it and I kept my Hemi truck. I only payed 16,600 out the door and it only has 25,250 miles. It has all the options (navi, heated seats, leather seats,) basicly all the options the limited with the Hemi has minus the Hemi engine but I have a family so I dont plan on modding it up to much, maybe just some painted tail ligjhts and tint the windows, maybe some bigger tires (not by much). I will post up pictures when I get them.

thanks again,
Bomhauer

NHWK05 02-19-2012 09:27 AM

Congradulations. You will deff be happier with the 09 4.7" then an 05-07 4.7. Its 300 hp and much more efficient. Deff post pics of the inside and out. I would go too crazy with bigger tires though. I went up to a 30.5" tire and noticed a big enough difference in mpgs that I went back to stock size. Just my opinion. Enjoy!

Bikemobile 02-19-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 576939)
Congradulations. You will deff be happier with the 09 4.7" then an 05-07 4.7. Its 300 hp and much more efficient. Deff post pics of the inside and out. I would go too crazy with bigger tires though. I went up to a 30.5" tire and noticed a big enough difference in mpgs that I went back to stock size. Just my opinion. Enjoy!

Did you adjust the computer for the larger tire size? Your larger tires are going to fool the odometer and trip computer into thinking that you have traveled a shorter distance than you actually have. This will automatically reduce your mpg's. you can do the math at the gas pump and add a % of miles to your miles travelled and get an adjusted mpg. I would be curious to see the real difference.