Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Wk2 Rear Knocking Noise Aussie GC Laredo (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/wk2-rear-knocking-noise-aussie-gc-laredo-37484.html)

Gecko1949 02-17-2012 04:45 PM

Wk2 Rear Knocking Noise Aussie GC Laredo

I have a knock/rattle in the rear which sounds like a bad shock or shock mount. The dealer has confirmed the noise and has already replaced the shocker mounts per tech bulletin 17-001-11 and has also replaced the rear shocks. The noise persists. I am not the only owner with this problem as can been seen from the threads on Aus Jeep forum http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=112724
Chrysler Jeep Australia are saying that although they have passed the problem over to the technical people, the noise is normal for this model. That story doesn’t seem to hold up as not all vehicles have. It appears that the problem could be caused by faulty shockers and even Jeep are mumbling in that direction.
I was wondering if any US owners are having similar problems. Would also be interested if anyone knew of a non-Mopar shock that would be a suitable replacement for the factory fit. At present none seem to be available in Australia.

Baxter 02-17-2012 05:19 PM

Re: Wk2 Rear Knocking Noise Aussie GC Laredo

Hi Gecko
I also have the knocking .The service centre at Mansfield (Ii this who you use) replaced the top right shock mount but the noise is still there (not as bad) I too would like to see a result on this issue. I emailed jeep and told them the fix did not work and I will speak to them next month when my car is in for the 10k service.

Baxter 02-17-2012 05:28 PM

Something I have noticed is the replacement top shock mount is not exactly a match for the one that jeep recommends to use in the TSB for the rear knocking. The one Jeep Australia has used has no date stamps or marking and also has no Protective cap (I had to check if I could see what the problem is because jeep have no idea)

Gecko1949 02-17-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baxter (Post 576019)
Hi Gecko
I also have the knocking .The service centre at Mansfield (Ii this who you use) replaced the top right shock mount but the noise is still there (not as bad) I too would like to see a result on this issue. I emailed jeep and told them the fix did not work and I will speak to them next month when my car is in for the 10k service.

Hi Baxter. Keep an eye on the AusJeepoffraod forum. There are a few members with the same problem also. Let's know what your answer is next month.

AAAA 02-18-2012 12:17 PM

I am having the work done Monday. Dealer tells me that they have had this issue with some other WK2's and involves cleaning under top dust boot of rear shock and lubing with an improved type of grease. I believe there is also an improved top shock cushion too. We'll see how it goes!

jjgc 02-21-2012 04:46 AM

Hi AAAA Good news please let us know how it goes. We have the problem in Australia . Thanks Peter

06BJH 02-21-2012 04:55 AM

I'm watching this thread with interest. I also have a thud in the rear end, quit annoying for a car that has travelled less than 3000km. I have the CRD with the self levelliing shocks.

AAAA 02-21-2012 10:04 AM

Work done at 11 AM yesterday. I had them leave the vehicle overnight per the TSB despite the fact that they said only 2 hours was necessary for glue to cure. Just got home after taking it for a ride. Well, it is much better, but thunk is not 100% gone. I am probably the only one hearing it now in my vehicle and that is with my radio off. It was still cold from being outside in below freezing weather and is only 34 degrees F now. I will continue to monitor over the next few days. No big deal at this time.

Primerate 02-21-2012 03:39 PM

I filed a claim under the lemon law on this. Mine has been in numerous times with all of the TSB's but nothing has worked. A factory rep is looking at it tomorrow under the law. I just want a Jeep that doesn't thud etc

AAAA 02-22-2012 01:31 PM

Going back in on Friday.

AAAA 02-24-2012 08:44 PM

Got it back. No major difference. It is only occassional now and so quiet you would not hear it unless you are trying. Dealer says what they did is all that Chrysler has advised on this issue. (See my 2/18 post.) They did wrap the jack in a cotton rag which can only help. I am OK with it, unless it gets worse.

Baxter 03-07-2012 07:54 PM

Ok had my 1st Service today (6mth) and was told they know of an issue with the load levelling shock setup and that Chrysler are working on a fix and will let me know when this is available.